Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 27-09-2005 , 08:38 PM
Another. I'll get a wireframe next time I'm working on it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 27-09-2005 , 09:15 PM
HOLY SH...

That is like the best model ever. How are you getting to clay render so nice. I know how to clay render, I'm just not very good at it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this textured! Very nice details on the interior.

# 63 27-09-2005 , 10:53 PM
Thanks Rupert. My 'trick' if you can call it that for clay renders is to use an Image Based Lighting node. I surround the model with a modified sphere that has a flat plane for the car to sit on, and apply a standard lambert to all the geometry and sphere (color pure white). Then once you've done all the standard things setting up the Final Gather, go to Render Globals>Mental Ray Tab>Image Based Lighting and hit create. A new window will pop up in the attribute editor, and you can attach your HDRI image to the light node. I've been using a sunset by the beach type HDRI, with a soft orange/yellow feel to it. That way, you can dictate the 'feel' of the clay because it picks up subtle shades of the HDRI and bleeds the color. Doing this saves you having to actually create an environment sphere and attaching the image that way.

# 64 28-09-2005 , 08:36 AM
Amazing piece of work you got here.

# 65 29-09-2005 , 09:44 AM
does anyone know how to create the mesh you see on the back?

# 66 29-09-2005 , 04:18 PM
Updates. I'm pretty much done with what I'm going to model with the interior. Just have to do the dash gauges. I know there's stuff missing, but 99% of people wouldn't know just by looking. Sometimes I think you gotta trade accuracy for what you can get away with.

Clopper, I used a displacement map with an additional link between the out color of the texture file and the material transparency. That way, the displacement map acts like it's own transparency map. Just make sure the parts you want to be transparent are the white parts on your texture file.

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 29-09-2005 , 04:47 PM
How many polys is it so far?

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 68 06-10-2005 , 01:39 AM
Took a break from modeling to mess with some textures and HDRI's. These are just quick renders at low quality settings, however critiques are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 06-10-2005 , 10:56 AM
Wow. It looks great. I'm not sure what else there is to do but the seats look a bit uncumfortable. I'm not sure how you should fix it, but try to make them more leather looking. Otherwise, amazing.

# 70 06-10-2005 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
That is a beautiful piece of work

# 71 06-10-2005 , 04:48 PM
Ooh, very nice user added image

# 72 06-10-2005 , 07:44 PM
i really love it. your render is very nice.can you show your shading network.it would really like it.

# 73 06-10-2005 , 10:43 PM
You mean for the car paint? If so it's a Blinn with a ramp plugged into the diffuse, specular and reflectivity. Attach a Sampler info node to each ramp, with the Facing Ratio of the Sampler info node inputing into the V Coord of the ramp.

The specular ramp has the Out Alpha connected to the Specular Color. The Reflectivity ramp has the out alpha connected to the reflectivity. And the diffuse ramp has the Out Alpha connected to the diffuse. Then you can fool around with the ramps until you're happy with the result. Sorry I don't have a pic and I'm away from my software right now.

# 74 06-10-2005 , 10:53 PM
Dude you should model an engine and write some expressions for cylinders so when they are pulled down, wheels make one cycle...joke :attn:

Why polys, why not NURBS!?

Now I can see that polys roks in every segment of modeling from hard surface to organic surfaces.

Great job and great poly handeling!!!

# 75 06-10-2005 , 11:17 PM
Thanks darijo. Usually I would tackle a car with NURBS, but when I first started looking at reference pics for this car I could see that NURBS would be a nightmare what with all the aggressive shaping on the body panels. On the same note, I didn't use SubD's as I find that the Crease Edge tool just doesn't give you enough control on the look of an edge with an inorganic model. So that left polys.

Hard edges are a pain in polys (each hard edge in this model has 3 to 5 edges close together before smoothing for extra control), but with a little patience and practice you can get the exact edge you're looking for.

Here's a wireframe pic of a Nissan 350Z I modeled totally in NURBS, but never finished. NURBS worked for this because of the flowing body shape. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never try to limit myself to a particular modeling method, but instead let the model dictate the correct choice.

Attached Thumbnails