Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-01-2009 , 01:07 PM

First model, please critique

Hello everybody, hows goin, i started watching some tutorials last week and i wanted to share with you guys this "person" that im tryin to make.

The world of 3d is amazing, i dont know where to start, there r so many things, modeling, texturing, rendering, and a lot of info out on the net.

So i supose that the first thing i gotta learn is modeling, so i tryied to make this person, i dont know how's called the technique i used, because i have seen there r SO many ways to model... i just started with a plane and then extruded tons of times, it took me like a day lol

So, the face i did watching a tutorial, but the mouth, eyes and ear, i just improvised, so i know that those are the worst parts and that the topology of those suck.

I wanna get tips, suggestions or comments about what i did, and what i gotta do to improve, i also textured the model in zbrush with zapplink, because when i tryied to make the uv i couldnt get the uv layout in one piece (at least it was a clean uv i think)

So what i gotta do next? how can i make this model better? what about the topology of the model?

Thanks everyone for reading

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by casko; 08-01-2009 at 01:10 PM.
# 2 08-01-2009 , 01:47 PM
The Nurb Herd
its kinda difficult to see any thing. perhaps you could screenshot in shaded mode with "wireframe on shaded" on. You could zoom the camera in a bit if not.

The model looks ok, i think the eyes look a little odd, but cant really tell from the shots. Have you tried a subdiv proxy, does it look ok smoothed?

# 3 09-01-2009 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
yeah, hammer has a good point there (all of them)
is that a cube i see in the eye area? why is that there?

also, you'd probably be best off putting this in the WIP (Work IN Progress) area? since it's made for WIPs
https://forums.simplymaya.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=34

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 11-01-2009 , 02:25 PM
Subscriber
Hi there

First thing i have to say, your making a good start....but..
If this is your first model ( and i know everyone says this ) start on somtheing a bit more simple!!

Really, people who have been modeling for a couple of years still have nightmares about modeling humans, especially heads!

To get a good taste of 3d you dont want to get bogged down on your first project, you need to see it through which involves modelling, uv texturing, rendering, maybe even rigging or animation.

When i first started i thought i would miss out the boring stages but you allways end up going back. Start with somtheing not so organic, not quite a toaster but somtheing with a simple shape....trust me ive been here (still am)

whatever happens keep it up, there are few things as rewarding as being creative, and unlike drawing or painting masterpeices, 3d is quite forgiving, because you can allways go back, get a couple of simply dvd's

free memory low..exception thrown