Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-11-2005 , 03:01 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Alien Character (continued)

Hey Guys

Well as Ive been busy with the character tute for the site, my thread for this guy no longer existsuser added image hence this one being created.

I think the head was about half texture when I left off but heres the final texture. I think Im going to just tweak the bump map a little then I'll be happy. On with the rest.

Enjoy
Jay

user added image

# 2 27-11-2005 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber
This looks really good keep it up
is this head from a tut on this site??

i neva saw ur laet thread but my only comment is the ears they look wrong as they are in the wrong ratio wiv the head

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 27-11-2005 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
/me drools...
awsome job man as usual.user added image

im not sure about how the lips look though, i would touch them up if it were me.
the ears i have to agree sort of look "out of character", just too human imo. maybe u can simply reshape them unless u like them as is, but a more unique ears would definately make him stand out more.

cheers,
good job.
:nod:

p.s. about the bump, your skin pores seem to be poking out, make them poke inside instead :p

# 4 27-11-2005 , 04:39 PM
Hey Guys
Thanks for your comments. As I said the bump needs a tweak so yeah, Vlad, definately gonna have a look at that.

As for ear ratio, its not a concern, top of the brow to the bottom of the nose is correct, but yeah perhaps a tweak in the shape would be an idea.

The head isnt from a tute, what I meant was I havent been doing this head as Ive been doing a tute FOR this site. Its the new character modeling one - GI modeling.

Cheers will update shortly

Jay

# 5 27-11-2005 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
He looks sad because he broke his horn:p

It looks awesome.user added image

# 6 27-11-2005 , 07:34 PM
I just tweaked what was crit on and Im alot happier with it now, so many thanks Vlad and Pbman.

I just played with the ears until I got something that looked a little 'bat-ish' his face reminds me of a vampire bat so...

Anyway enough of the face and onto the flesh arm now (the other is a mechanical arm)

Cheers Guys

Jay

user added image

# 7 27-11-2005 , 07:42 PM
looks good user added image

Shape-wise, the ear looks better, it might look good with a slightly droopy lower lobe as well, keeping in character with his drooping mouth.
The texture on it (ear) looks too clean and shiny though and draws your eye to it a little too fast.

Just quick observations though - still great stuff user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 8 27-11-2005 , 07:51 PM
Hey Tick

Im not so sure, perhaps if the ear wasnt mentioned we'd look at something else. I agree though about the shine, perhaps I can lower the spec a little later once its all done. The Light set will change by then. My eye is drawn to the cut off horn, but Ive been looking at this for ages so...user added image

Cheers Dude

Jay

# 9 27-11-2005 , 09:56 PM
:eek3: user added image Thats awesome Jay.

Mmmm its a sad alien :hug: user added image lol

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 10 28-11-2005 , 02:23 AM
Looking top shelf! How much of that horn texture is bump and how much is geometry? All bump you say? Awesome ... looks like he was eliminated in the late rounds of the OUTLAWS HEADBUTT CHAMPIONSHIPS:headbang:

On a more serious note, I think if the lips mached the eyelid color (or vice versa) it might groove for me a bit more ... still, you are hitting it outta the ballpark Jay ... and I'm just talkin' cuz I'm feeling chatty so feel free to just nod your head and then dismiss me politely.

Dave

# 11 28-11-2005 , 07:58 AM
Hey Guys
Thanks for your comments.

Dave: Ive changed the lip color just need to render it again. Yeah thats a bump on the horns, I did debate geo but I couldnt justify it in the end, but I think it works all the same.

Talk soon dude

You're dismissed now Dave

Jayuser added image

# 12 28-11-2005 , 09:13 PM
Grud!!:bandit:

redid some of the texture and did some shader adjustments and some extra maps.

Cheers

Jay

user added image

# 13 28-11-2005 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
I've been following this for the past few days and it looks good, man user added image

There's one thing that bugs me about it, though. The ear still just doesn't fit. It's rather humanoid and given the proportions of the head (jaw especially) I think it should be a little larger all together and stretched up and down but that's just preference. I don't think that matters as much as the lack of surface treatment on the ear. There's just a lot more color and bump detail on the face - but I won't go into go too deep because I'm pretty sure that you may have noticed it already or maybe just aren't done with that part. Just wanted to make sure

definitely looks good, man, keep it up

# 14 28-11-2005 , 10:20 PM
Hey FunkyBunnies

The ear saga LOL. The ear fine for what I need. Im looking at the bigger picture now.

As for surface detail, thats one I'll argue about gladly. Human Ears dont contain half the detail of the human face, veins may be more visible but they arent as wrinkled or porous in any way. In fact mine are just smooth with peach fuzz, my chops on the other hand...

The human skin surface differs sooo much from top to bottom, the face alone is a great example, from the thin blue skin around the eyes to the thickness on the cheeks down to the neck where it thins out again. Ive been studying the human form a hell of a lot in the last 6 years as my job involves that of 3d characters, and I tell you, the differences in us all would make you weep if you went along with every comment made about what is right and wrong. The basic proportion principles apply to us all but when you get down to the nitty gritty details, thats what separates us from each other.

Anyway this dude is an alien so who knows what they look like?

Nuff said

Cheers

Jay

# 15 28-11-2005 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
yea its a fiction character. so no artistic limitationuser added image

maybe make the lips a tad more glossy