Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-07-2006 , 04:22 AM

skeleton posing problems..

sorry if this seems super elementary but i couldnt find a topic here or in the maya tutorials that covers this.

if i pose a leg or arm how can i mirror that pose to the other leg or arm?

also, i cant seem to rotate the left leg anywhere.. right leg works fine as does the left arm.. is there a way to unlock this?

thx in advance!

'Let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.'
# 2 18-07-2006 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
Actually, Mike McKinley has an excellent tutorial on character rigging which will show you EVERYTHING! Kurt Boutilier also has some excellent tutorials on the subject of animating rigged characters.

The basics, however, are as follows.

Joints are either controlled through FK (forward kinematics; you pick the joint itself and rotate it to where you want it) ir IK (inverse kinematics; a series of joints, such as a leg/foot combo, are connected with an IK handle. Manipulating this handle moves the entire series of joints). One can switch from FK/IK freely.

If you wish to mirror a pose on an opposite limb (as for a walk cycle), you can either "eyeball" it, or for more accuracy do it in the channel box. Pose your left leg, for example, and then enter the same values in the channel box (NOTE! Enter a negative value for the opposite limb in "x" and/or "z"). This should "mirror" your pose. BTW this only works if your character is centered on the grid.

Most "basic Maya" books also cover this subject. It does take time to master animating in Maya, but the results are more than worth the time taken to practice!

Have fun!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 3 18-07-2006 , 05:23 PM
thx jim!

'Let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.'