Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 12-01-2007 , 08:38 AM
Very nicely !!

very accurate, good pressure.. You just have to tweak the "brush dynamics" and some more in brush settings for the pressure level to work.

The only crits i have is the cheap quality pen..

But it's not nearly enough to ruin the overall quality !

veryvery good.

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 47 14-01-2007 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments guys.

Well, not the huge update I was going for, but still I got what I could done. I've now redone the handles and I like them, they're about the same poly as the last ones but they have much more detail now. I might add more if I have some spare by the end. The pedals are obviously still in progress. Crits welcome - and yes i know the renders are still pretty poop. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 14-01-2007 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
looking good, it looks smoother. What is ur poly limit.

# 49 14-01-2007 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
The reason the whole thing looks smoother is probably because I have changed the shader from a lambert to blinn, as I thought specular highlights might help to show detail on the model.

My poly limit for this is 10k, before the remodelling of the pedals and hand controls I was at about 8k, now I'm at about 7.5k with the pedals unfinished so I'm doing ok at the moment. I think I'm going to redo the wings and gun a bit as they are also using a few too many polys - I want to free some up so I can add some details elsewhere.

# 50 15-01-2007 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
Cool, it's going well, starting to look more refined.
Anything exciting happening at Escape?

# 51 15-01-2007 , 06:38 PM
hey petrol - just had a quick look through your thread - this is looking really good. I really like the design - it's got a nice chunky feel to it.

It might be cool to add some extra detail on the underside, though I guess that could be done with textures.

keep up the good work mate! user added image

# 52 17-01-2007 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber
ZeroAlarm - Its NURBS week at the moment, and it's pretty challenging. Today we start a project modelling a Vespa (retro scooter!) so that should be.... interesting user added image

Arran - Good shout about the underside. I've added some air intakes underneath where the front underside meets the rear underside hull. I'll post some quick renders tonight hopefully!

Thanks both for the support :attn:

# 53 15-02-2007 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
Petrol mate, where are you?
Here's a friendly bump to remind you that some people are still interested in seeing how this turns out :p
I hope stuff at Escape is going well!

# 54 15-02-2007 , 04:50 PM
two out of three potential lights ain't bad for a render... i think people are awaiting textures, but the model definitely looks good.

Accept no substitutions.
# 55 19-02-2007 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
I'm sorry for the lack of updates on my wips recently, I WILL be returning to them. I'm now on my Games module at Escape so I wanted to halt progress on the game models (this and the rider) to make sure the models end up totally clean. In effect this just means that I want to do them PROPERLY and not just wing it just to get them into a portfolio.

Oh, that means that I'll probably have a LOT of tidying up to do on the model, but thats ok as it will free up more tris for other styling and details (maybe I can do a bit more with the wings). It's a learning curve so I can't expect everything to be done right first time, especially seeing as I'm basically still a bit of a newb user added image

Chuffed that theres at least a couple of you who like it though, cheers lads!

Edit : To add to to what i'll be doing to this project - When the model is complete it will have colour, specular and normal mapping applied. I'm getting much faster at modelling now so i'm not worried about it going on forever. I'm itching to get back to my WIPs but if I hold out, i'll be able to do everything that much faster and cleaner. And that includes the UVing and texturing as well.

Last edited by petrol; 19-02-2007 at 04:48 AM.
# 56 19-02-2007 , 10:17 AM
oh yea i think it's damned good as is!

would love to know how to normal map... never really looked into it *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 57 19-02-2007 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
Well if i'm honest i've never done one either... but I do understand it and I know (roughly) what to do. In about 2 weeks we're going through the process and getting a few days zbrushing from an expert. Really looking forward to it, as it should go a long way enabling me to model stuff that is actually portfolio worthy.

So more progress in a few weeks hopefully on this, depending on whether we have a set project going!

# 58 21-02-2007 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
Good to hear from you mate!
Stuff's sounding fun for you, but yeah I can imagine you must be busy with it. Can't wait to see what this will look liek with all those new skills

Also, have you looked at Mudbox? It's like ZBrush, except it 3D-based and apparently quite easy to use. Check it out user added image

# 59 21-02-2007 , 06:12 PM
Subscriber
Hi mate! Busy is one way of putting it! But like I say, more than anything I just didn't want to ruin my work on this. As a junior games artist I will be expected to produce nigh on perfect clean models, and I knew if I kept going on this I'd only have to go back and redo it all. As it is, the vehicle isn't 'badly' modelled, its just not optimized very well. Should be easy enough to fix though.

As for mudbox, I've given it a quick blast and I must say it's v maya-user-friendly. All the nav controls are exactly the same, and it takes no time to pick it up, I just have nothing to work on yet and I'm not 100% on the workflow either!