Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-03-2007 , 09:00 AM

Modeling Techniques

I just watched the free tutorial on modelling FRANK and i just wanted to know what you guys think of the techniques used to model him, are they the best and easiest way are are the easier/better methods out there?
thanks josh

# 2 13-03-2007 , 09:10 AM
Senior Software Developer
There is no set way to model in any 3D App like Maya or max etc... Kurt uses his way to model to show you a good workflow, good, technique and to open you up to trying different methods. Its not right to say that there is no wrong way or right way (esp. when your learning), doing it wrong happens a lot in the start.

Kurt usually starts with NURBS and then moves into Polys. Some people use nothing but NURBS, others nothing but Polys, then there is the Sub-D crowd.

Its how you prefer to model. Keep doing tutes and you will find that each project has its own technique to get the results. Its what ever fits that project, and this is decided way ahead of launching Maya.

Good Luck

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 13-03-2007 , 09:29 AM
i wasnt saying there wrong so i hope you diodnt get the idea that i was i am just new to 3d modelling and was wondering if anyone thought there was a better/easier method thats all because i come from a 2d animation forum and there are lots of diferent methods to do 2d animation and some are alot easier than other so i was just wondering if anyone thought there is a easier/quicker way thats all

# 4 13-03-2007 , 09:54 AM
i definitely prefer polygons over nurbs, though I am sure it is a matter of preference. It also depends what you are going to make. Nurbs seem better suited to hard surface objects while polygons seem better for organics, but again there are no hard and fast rules. As R@nsid said, it's best to just start experimenting - I don't think that he was using the word wrong to refer to what you said, but rather that there is not one way that is better than the others.