Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-11-2007 , 05:40 AM

texture scaleing & stretching problem pls help !!

i am trying to model a quite complex model ( for me it is ) :headbang:
made up of about 200 hollow hexagonal tubes at diffrent lengths.
i made and loaded a psd texture file but on the top of the hexagonal tubes it sqashes the texture to fit and down the side it stretches it which dose not look the way i want it to.

i would like it to have the same affect as some brick walls which look equaly cosistand wether one wall is short and fat or long and thin.

hope im explaining my issue good enuf

tnx in advance for any help

greetz

mike

ps im using maya 8.5, photoshop cs3 , (and z brush 3.1 which i dont have a clue how to use yet ) :p

note how the texture gets squashed and sretched acording to size which i dont want.. also i think i need to change the resolution of the texture somehow.... dont know how....so the the texture is repeated moreoften user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by MeTaXo; 29-11-2007 at 05:44 AM.
# 2 29-11-2007 , 06:08 AM
there's a little trick for that, called UV mapping user added image

but since I'm not that good at it I can't explain how it's done...

...but that was when I ruled the world
# 3 29-11-2007 , 07:19 AM
problem is that there are over 180 diffrent length hexagonal polygon tubes ....

id be 100 by the time id finish uv mapping each induvidual one :s

not shure but isnt there a simple way of texuring multiple polygons of difrent length.......?

# 4 29-11-2007 , 10:22 AM
Subscriber
I haven't really tried it out but I have done a quick preview just to see how it lays out the uv's, try out RoadKill, it's free to download and use. I'm going to use it on my next model, or the project I'm working on now just to re-uv map it. It seems to lay them out pretty good, and quick to.

# 5 30-11-2007 , 02:39 AM
I bet there is an easy way to do it, but I'm not that good at texturing too...

...but that was when I ruled the world
# 6 01-12-2007 , 12:06 AM
ok ive managed to get it mapped out properly
but now im stuck...
i want to exprort it to photoshom and make the texture the right size....

broblem is when i export it to photoshop looking like the pic below i only get one with the brown texture behind it which is cirled in red.

i saw that theres a funktion in 3d studio max called : UVW-Unwrap
^^^^^^^^
but i want this in mayaaa :S

:headbang: :angery: user added image :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 01-12-2007 , 12:08 AM
this is what it looks like in photoshop :

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 01-12-2007 , 12:13 AM
Lifetime Member
You will only be able to export what is in the top righthand box so you have to lay all your UV's out in the box.You can do this automatically but I would not recommend it ,just select all your UV's and scale them proportionally and then select each individual shell and move them around to fit into the top right square filling it as much as possible with your UV's.

In the UV texture editor under the Polygons menu set click on UV snapshot, choose the resolution your texture is going to be and then save the uv snapshot.
In Photoshop open the Uv snapshot and also your texture file and layer the texure over the uV snapshot which you set to screen mode to see it under your texture.Now you can play with your texture to your hearts content fitting it and sizing it to make the uv's,once done just save your texture file out and then apply it to your model in Maya.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 01-12-2007 at 12:22 AM.
# 9 01-12-2007 , 12:16 AM
ill give it a go tnx :bow:

# 10 01-12-2007 , 12:22 AM
ok i folowed waht you explaind above but all i get in photoshop is the black image above but i dont just want to texture one side of the 3d modell

dont i then need all 6 orange views of the 3d modell in the black box ?

# 11 01-12-2007 , 12:24 AM
Lifetime Member
I edited my message and like I said above you have to lay everything our in the top right hand box because thats the texture space, everything outside that box just gets a repeat of the texture.

# 12 01-12-2007 , 12:38 AM
ok ive selected them
then i click on the scale button in the main window
nothing changes in the texture window like it dose in the main view
is there a diffrent button i need to click ?

sorry for being such a noob

difficult for finding reliable resources user added image

ignore above i think ive found it

:attn:

Last edited by MeTaXo; 01-12-2007 at 12:49 AM.
# 13 01-12-2007 , 12:51 AM
Lifetime Member
ok what you need to do is make sure you have selected UV's so right click over your UV's and choose UV in the marking menu and then drag a slection to select all of them, now hit the R key on the keyboard to change to the scale tool, you should now be able to scale them using the center box so it's proportional.Once you have them scaled hit Q on the keyboard to change to the select tool and select a UV on one of the shells then under the select menu in the Texture editor click on select shell then hit W on the Keyboard to change to the move tool and move the shell into position in the top right hand area .Hit Q to go to the select tool and repeat for the other pieces until you have them all in the top right erea, you can rotate them to make it fit better if you want but the aim is to fill as much of the square as possible so don't scale them too small.

Last edited by jsprogg; 01-12-2007 at 01:04 AM.
# 14 01-12-2007 , 01:01 AM
thanx a milion :blush:

realy arpeciate people like you who take the time to help dudes like me user added image

lets see how far i come this time before i need a little help again user added image

# 15 01-12-2007 , 02:26 AM
it there a limit to the size you can save the image as uv image as ???

maya keeps crashing user added image ive had to redo evrything a few times now....

could it matter whre i save it or dose this not matter as long as i can find it user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by MeTaXo; 01-12-2007 at 02:28 AM.