Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-02-2009 , 04:54 PM

Another Tech problem!

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this, but I have ANOTHER tech problem. Since this is really the only tech savvy community I know of, and my searches haven't turned up anything, I figured I'd ask you.

So! Trying to Boot XP, and get a Blue Screen (Page Fault in Non Paged Area) right after the XP logo. Then it reboots and asks me to start normally, safe mode, etc etc. So I tried everything.. Safemode, Safemode w/ Networking, Safemode w/ Command Prompt, Last known good config, etc.

All of them gave me the same Page Fault in Non paged area error. I can't remember all the codes, but I know 3 of them : 0x00000000, 0x00000001, 0x00000050.

I tried inserting the OS cd, and was asked to install windows, or repair an installation. I chose Repair, and then it loaded and whatnot, then asked me : "Which Installation of Windows do you want to log onto?" There was only 1 option (1) and when I did that, I got a Blue Screen (same error).

What should I do?

Thanks,
Bluethunder

# 2 01-02-2009 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
Bluethunder, I believe that your problem is that your boot sector on your HD has been corrupted. I have not had to fix that in a long time, but I am sure some here will have some suggestions.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 01-02-2009 , 05:34 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick response! I have a CD called Ultimate Boot CD, and it has some tests.. Should I run any sort of Hard Disk Diagnostics?

Thanks!
Bluethunder

# 4 01-02-2009 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
I believe if you do a search about boot sector repair, and weed out all that want to sell you something, it is done through DOS and I believe it is a simple command. Wish I was of more help. And if you have a floppy drive you can get good boot disk that may include the repair.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 5 01-02-2009 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
if you use your windows cd and choose the repair option - all you have to type in is "fixboot" or "fixboot c:\" - that fixes 9/10 boot problems.

Hope that helps

# 6 01-02-2009 , 07:11 PM

Originally posted by tweetytunes
if you use your windows cd and choose the repair option - all you have to type in is "fixboot" or "fixboot c:\" - that fixes 9/10 boot problems.

Hope that helps

I'd do that, but when I go to the repair, it says "Choose a windows installation to log in to" And I can't do anything else, except for either cancel (which restarts comp) or press 1, which is my only option (the OS thats installed (XP Home)).

Thanks though!

I searched for Boot Sector repair, and most of them said to run the repair console etc etc..

I had this problem before, I believe, and I solved it through the recovery console with these commands...

Code:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
I think that did it last time, but I don't know if it's the exact same problem. I'd do all this and fixboot etc etc if I could, but I can't get into any sort of command line interface or to recovery console w/o the BSOD.

# 7 01-02-2009 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber
That is why I had suggested tracking down a boot floppy. You will get a DOS command to work with that way.

# 8 01-02-2009 , 11:17 PM
I can't exactly find a boot floppy.. Is it possible to make one? Should I just copy the stuff on the cd to the floppy?

Sorry, just a little confused! user added image

# 9 01-02-2009 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
I suppose you could, but have you checked here for the bootdisk? I think after Windows 98 you need to boot in NTFS, if that is how it is formatted, and Windows 98 Disk won't. May be easier to get one.

https://www.bootdisk.com/

# 10 01-02-2009 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
If you check this one:

Windows XP Fresh Install Bootdisk And Bootable CD

And after you click on Bootdisk then at the bottom of the page look for this

Custom XP Fresh Install Bootable CD and look at the readme and I am sure it will help some.

# 11 04-02-2009 , 01:10 PM
There's also another option, and that is to boot with an Windows 98 CD, that will also get you into a dosprompt with CD-Drive enabled. Get a CD that has the FixMBR option on it and run that, that will probably solve your problem

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 12 05-02-2009 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
Well, I will get them for sure as that is not a fun problem to try and correct. At least when I was fighting it!! Thanks!!!