Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-03-2011 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber

Rectangular hole in cylinder

Hi!

I ran into a newbie problem with trying to create rectangular hole into cylinder.

user added image

So as you can see I basically deleted couple of faces and then extruded the edges in and beweled them. And then tried to maintain the quad-geometry. But the problem is I still have those pinches coming off from the corners.

How do you make that kind of hole into cylinder while still having smooth surface?

Thanks for help!

# 2 08-03-2011 , 04:03 PM
Can we get a closer view of the corners with the problem? its hard to make out what the mesh is doing from this angle.

# 3 08-03-2011 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Here ya go.

user added image

# 4 08-03-2011 , 06:22 PM
Do this bevelling manually? after doing the extrude just use the split polygon tool to add your bevel by hand along the existing loops only. Its alot more waistfull on the poly count but it will work better with smoothing (perhaps dont smooth?).

Though to be honest with small bevels like this you can just use a normal bending shader, mental ray has one and it works nicely. I think its called mia_roundcorners.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 08-03-2011 , 07:12 PM
You could increase the poly count quite a bit and try something like this, just extruded, added 5 edge loops (one of them is inside the extruded faces). As jsprogg says perhaps you don't even need to smooth it, but it you're seeing it up close and need to the the extra resolution is worth it,

cheers

gubar

Attached Thumbnails