Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 22-02-2003 , 11:18 PM
Kevin
We will have a full range of movie available.

The first one will be called:

Maya - The Overview (or similar)

It wil contain all the essentials on one disk! kinda covering a bit of everything.

The we will be doing videos on all aspects from poly modeling , (also full modeling projects) right through to a full range of Animation stuff.

I cant give a time limit as it wouldnt be fair to do this and put our selves under pressure to just "throw them out"

but the first couple are already being done, and I am talking to the cd producers regarding stampling and packaging.

# 17 22-02-2003 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber
thx for the info kevin.
Will they also be available for shipping to Europe (Belgium)?

# 18 23-02-2003 , 12:08 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by d24e
thx for the info kevin.
Will they also be available for shipping to Europe (Belgium)?

yep! worldwide user added image

# 19 23-02-2003 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Only 1 word I can say about that:
SHIBBY!

# 20 23-02-2003 , 02:22 AM
SM Tea Boy
d24e cool avatar user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 21 23-02-2003 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
thx david, made it in 3ds max 3 or 4.
It was part of a very sweet movie, if I may say souser added image
I made all the parts of a fireman jeep and make them fly together to form the jeep from bottom to top.
Quite easy to make and a lot of fun!

# 22 23-02-2003 , 09:31 AM
Subscriber
Hey d24e... Just letting you know, I have downloaded some VIP tutorials, and basically.. when learning maya, you dont need crystal clear quality.... the words on the screen dont really matter, seeing you can see what they mean when your in maya. And whenever the person who is doing the video goes to a button, they always say it out verbally. I could watch a tutorial with my eyes closed and i would learn a lot! Hah. The quality for me is superb.... I learn tons, and they go over lots of cool tools that you didnt even know about in each tutorial. Just so you know, the world is big, and i take it you live in the us, or somewhere where lots of people have ADSL and whatnot. I also have ADSL and didnt think many wouldnt have access.. until i learned here.. that many in australia and the UK just do not have cable.. seeing its not available.. or the service plans really are not all that good user added image. The quality is fine for tutorials, if you really have a problem with not being able to see text, then yes.. wait for the dvd's/Cd's in the store. Or like david says, go somewhere that caters solely for broadband customers.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 23 23-02-2003 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
thx for that comment )v( (what's in a name?user added image)

I've decided to just wait about a week until I get my maya 4.5 savvy. If that has nice tuts to get me started, I'll do those and do some projects for myself.
I'll buy some points and download the tutorials that look very good to me (eg: tie fighter, monster)
Can anyone recommend some VIP tuts for a beginner?

# 24 23-02-2003 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
oh I forgat, I live in Belgium (very kewl, I knowuser added image)

You can see this below my avatar to the left.

# 25 23-02-2003 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
As a beginner I recommend simply man and dog (they are free) and the tie fighter- I learnt loads just from those three. The hand one is excellent and I have really nice 'stock' hands as a result of following it (just added them to a new figure I am working on). The new cloth one is also excellent. On the rigging front Mike's movie is superlative and easy to follow.

Last edited by Witchy; 23-02-2003 at 06:27 PM.
# 26 15-07-2004 , 06:38 AM
For those interested. Verizon Wireless offers DSL speeds in most areas located in the US. Check it out.
And soon it will be offered all over the continetal us.

Another option for those interested in high speed is through your satillite company. Most support internet access, though I do not recomend it because of weather reasons. A storm comes and you loose interenet (if you get storms frequent this is not a good option).

# 27 15-07-2004 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
I think the quality of the VIP tutorials are just fine. Ocassionally it can be a little hard to make out some details when Kurt uses X-Ray mode. But 90% of the time the quality is fine.

I'm also a modem user. 56k, dodgy phone line with lots of drop outs. And I'd hate for the file sizes to get any larger. Although I have no problem committing to downloading a large tutorial. I just downloaded the Oliphant tutorial, at just over 1GB. *pats modem proudly*

The only thing that bugs me a little is the watermark. I would have thought the vip tutes would be watermark free. But again, this is not a major concern.

Anyway, don't forget us modem users! And great work on the tutorials and resources.

Bye

gelfie

# 28 15-07-2004 , 04:22 PM
Kevin
hey gelfie... thx for you comments, unfortunatly before the water marks I found the movies all over the net on other sites user added image

so Imafraid that is why it is there...

Also good news for you 56kers..

The dvdr system goes online soon - you will be able to add you tutorials to a dvdr for only the cost of 2 points and no postage or packaging user added image

hows that for cool user added image

# 29 21-07-2004 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber
I find all the tutorials, both free and vip a breeze to use. Some of the smaller details such a menu text can be lost in the quality, but as has been mentioned previously the authors always audibly tell you what they are clicking.

Reading through this thread I did have one small idea though. If larger and higher quality video files were ever introduced, you could use the Bittorrent system to distribute the files. It would save hugely on server costs and bandwidth (once the first person had completed the download), it can be equally secure (set the tracker to only expect connections from certain IP address' or even down to the MAC address level). All that would be needed is to set up a tracker, and a new section on the forum to request certain files be re-seeded if they become stagnant.

Then you could spend your maya points on downloading the actual small torrent files, plus you would help out the modem users because they could pause or even stop their download and just pick it back up from where ever they left off.

I hope my ramblings made sense, if anyone is interested here - https://dessent.net/btfaq/ - are the general facts about bit torrent.

Happy Maya-ing!!!

# 30 21-07-2004 , 09:55 AM
Kevin
thx for your input azimuth - luckily we have 4 severs now with a massive bandwidth allowence on each!

also the add the dvdr feature is soon comming - this will give 56 kers the ability to have any tutorial on ther site sent to there house for the cost of only 2 or 3 points! pretty sweet hey!