Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-06-2006 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber

jail

hi guys, i;ve been having some trouble with the tower (computer) and have been spending time on the laptop. It seems i am remotely controlling my own computer?? I don't mean remote as in 'vague' but i am logging in as being on a my own network, trouble is there is only one computer;

anyway, I have spent about 16 hours doing this 'jail' scene. it is a long way off finished but any suggestions would be good. I realize it is not the usual 'western' style but it gives the feel. I will be doing some mapping of lights soon and stuff. Most of this i did on the laptop and am putting it up via the tower , etc etc

the computer is very slow, this took 4 minutes and a bit to render, i think it has about 6 pont lights so maybe it is the texture slowing it down or this remote problem.

this is for a green screen ar a live caberat show, it will be animated so we fly out the window into the galactic

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 20-06-2006 , 05:43 PM
looks good Mirek, think you could take out some of the walls and floor's repetition on the texture using photoshop, that would liven it up a bit!!

# 3 20-06-2006 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
it looks too bright for my taste. Would be nice if you could see some light falling through the windows. Also the texture on (especially) the left side wall seems to be a bit off. Like it is stretched or something. And it seems to be a bit generic. You'd need some cracks and stuff. Traces of people having had a hard time in that place, someone countung down his days, dirt, smearmarks etc. Just some ideas to give the whole scene a bit more of a history.
In general somehow the composition of your scene seems to be to structured and organised. like all the windows having the same distance, the beds being in a straigt line.
Sorry if I am to harsh, I try to be constructive at the same time.

good luck

Last edited by farbtopf; 20-06-2006 at 06:39 PM.
# 4 20-06-2006 , 06:43 PM
Yeah, I tend to agree with gster and farbtopf's comments - I like the idea of having some marks to show someone counting down their days. How about a dirty looking bed and sink as well?

At the moment everything just looks too clean and that back wall just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the scene. Definitely think that you need to really scuff this up.

# 5 21-06-2006 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
hi there, thanks guys, yea, the light mapping, will came i want some cell bars showing through as shadows onto the opposite wall. great idea about the 'counting the days' and stuff graphite, and i might even put a few dungen like chains or somehing.

yea thanks for the suggestions about textures, excellent guys. Symmetrical..?? well jails are very symmetrical, i think they make em that way to drive the prisoners to madness, i think that is why they get so scuffed up, i certainly understand though and will be 'scuffing' today big time, deadline Saturday.

the toilet etc will be done in time too, the back wall?? i couldn't agree more, it is a balance of light i haven't got my head around yet but not too fussed because i have to map a heap of spot lights from the windows to get the bar shaped shadows.

i got some instructions from the software company today on how to fix the tower, my god, what a job, it seems i AM remotely controlling it with itself??

will post up updates and they will have all your suggestions.

BTW, any rules i need to know from modeling in 6.5 and then when i take the files to the tower it has V7 (Maya) ?? any codes i need to know, any thing about the different versions i should know (sorry just woke up.) user added image so a bit repetitive :zzz:

# 6 21-06-2006 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
started from scratch, except for the bed and the lights, not the lights but the modeled lights, i like them and the bed was my first attempt bat mesh.

anyway this is more daggy, i tried to use paints effects but i don't think it works on polys, just nurbs, I think, seems that was, was going to write some mean graffiti..

anyway, what do you reckon guys, what should i do, this might get me a job (??) well put it this way a lot of people are going to see it

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mirek03; 21-06-2006 at 03:19 PM.
# 7 21-06-2006 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
not bad at all ..needs alittle lighting help but that is about it ..also i dont know if it is me or not but my eyes are drawn to the urinals ...they are alittle flat and not much going on in the scene ... also the urinal and pipe on the wall look flat ?? maybe it is just me or the angle . maybe cause they are bunched together and draws me just there and not to see anything else

it might just be me

# 8 21-06-2006 , 10:36 PM
Hi Mirek - your scene is looking a lot better, though I agree, the urinals just don't look right - they look a little tall and I don't think they are the right shape. I also might post some more dynamic views of your scene.

I am also having problems transferring from 6.5 to 7. I tried using a DVD-R to store my project file, but it didn't seem to work. I read somewhere that you could use a usb connection cable or a file transfer cable, but that's about all i know!

# 9 21-06-2006 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
aaron ..what are you having trouble transferring ? I had helped him earlier on same issues just PM with issue

# 10 22-06-2006 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
Looks real good, Mirek!

I agree the urinals don't quite fit...just yet! They look a bit large, and obviously the texture isn't finished...but they could fit in quite well with a little work!

The overall prison looked very "Cold War" at first; the bricks seem to shrink the size of the room. I confess I did like the stone/concrete, but that is just my personal preference. Your textures are coming along very nicely!

I would add DAMPNESS! Maybe some mildew. Give the floor some of that "old concrete rot".

The overall scene does scream "prison", so you're definitely on to something!

Keep up the good work!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 11 22-06-2006 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
hi guys, umm the urinals?/, here's a different image, but i have this deadline thats a killer. I tried to paint on some mildew but paint effects is acting up or it is the graphics card but more likely its me.

any way, i haven't time to change it before tomorrow, i just rendered 350 frames, took 7-8 hours and still haven't finishes, the camera flies out the window into galactic overdrive. I have done the 'overdrive' yet LOL

heres some more images and dynamic views.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 22-06-2006 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
the lights from the 'windows' (spots, with a grid and using the barn doors)

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 22-06-2006 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
and those culprits, the urinals, gotta run to the dentist.., i'll look forward to and c and c

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 23-06-2006 , 12:46 AM
Hey Mirek - Hope the dentist wasn't too painful.

When using the paint effects tool, did you make sure that you made the object paintable? I'm at work, so I can't remember how to do it, but I am sure a quick look on maya help will sort you out.

Your scene is definitely looking improved - though at the moment I am not really buying the barn door lighting effects. I just find it hard to believe that natural sunlight would create that sort of effect with the bars in the window. It may just be me, though...

And those urinals! Oh well, I guess if your deadline is tomorrow you must be done with this.

# 15 23-06-2006 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
Arran, very sound advice mate. the lighting effect?? too true now i look at it, but in a way it was what they wanted so i hope the exaggerated effect goes down OK. The paining, yes I did make it paintable and today i am going to do a few of my tuts i did before to see what i have done wrong or if the graphics card wasn't happy with the screen capture program i installed, gone now, decided i didn't need it. Long story.

the urinals, yes, will have to live with it, tomorrow night it all goes on to green screen, blue i think actually, we're using digital not film.

thanks for the crit. user added image