Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-03-2007 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber

hardware render and mental ray

hello
I am wondering if it's possible to render the particle that can be rendered by hardware render (like sprite, streak and points) by mental ray...

rsh
# 2 27-03-2007 , 10:33 AM
why would you ever want to? MR is for raytracing you don't raytrace hardware particles do you?! user added image

the answer is very likely no

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 27-03-2007 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber

hardware render problem

hello
thanks for the reply but I got into the following problem and I thought in case mentalray can render.... the problem is,
I have made the attached firework sample which should be rendered with hardware render. if I render it as a single frame it works and nothing is missing but if I batch render it (no matter in what format) nothing shows up and the screen is black... or only some of the particles show up...

what should I do?

Attached Files
File Type: mb fireworks.mb (64.8 KB, 265 views)

rsh
# 4 27-03-2007 , 03:27 PM
have you done a particle cache?

select the particles

solvers>>create particle disk cache

(if you want to change the particles you need to delete this and re-do it)

then try rendering. Remember you don't assign shaders etc for hardware rendering so make sure that your particles have some colour so you can see them. Have you tried different particle types? e.g. multi streak just to see them a bit clearer. Is motion blur turned on? do you have enough samples?

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 5 27-03-2007 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber

hardware render problem

hello
they do have color and as I said when I render them as single frame they show but when I do the batch render they don't however the multi streaks show up a little. the only thing I didn't do is to make a cache disk.
I will try that

rsh
# 6 27-03-2007 , 03:41 PM
is motion blur turned on?

IMDB