Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-04-2008 , 01:21 AM

Attach Surface problem...

Well, here I am again...

I'm making a bullet. So I made a NURBS circle, duplicated it a bunch of times, changing the scales on each, arranging them in such a way and lofted the curves 2 curves at a time to get this:

user added image

After that, I selected two surfaces and clicked on Attach Surfaces (Connect, Keep Originals OFF).

user added image

After attaching everything, when I try to move the bullet, it seems to stick to the first surface I attached, and just gets pulled with that other surface staying in place, looking all deformed. I tried deleting history already and removing the curves. To show you, I have this picture of attaching only the first two surfaces on the top, and then I centered the pivot and attempted to move them away... I got this effect:

user added image

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

# 2 10-04-2008 , 02:59 AM
are you sure you deleted history - did you have the objects selected when you did it?

# 3 10-04-2008 , 03:32 AM
Yes I'm pretty sure I did those... In fact I did it again just now just to make sure, and I got the same effect.

Thing is, if I use KEEP ORIGINALS ON, it seems to work now... But I'm quite sure it SHOULD work with Keep Originals Off, right?

# 4 10-04-2008 , 05:12 AM
hmm - don't have my computer in front of me just now so not sure - think keep originals just makes a copy rather than use the actual objects - but hey, if it's working, best to just keep moving forward!

# 5 11-04-2008 , 01:36 AM
That's right! Got the bullets done so it's all good. Thanks once again!