Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 31-07-2008 , 01:10 PM
Subscriber
well, what i meant by the curve remaining flat is what i got on the right in the attached picture

if i switched it to tubes it would get the funky stuff at the bottom, which is what the one of the left shows

i ended up doing a modified poly cube extruded along the curve and found it was too fat, shown at the bottom :p
i remember seeing this in one of 3d buzz's tutorials, but i guess the things you see and never use end up being forgotten user added image

i seem to have a faulty memory, to bad i can't trade it for a new one that works better user added image

also, not sure how to make the flat surfaces at the ends round. I think i asked before and there ended up being this capital S floating around the model, i think it still wasn't giving the effect i wanted though

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 01-08-2008 , 05:47 PM
Strange... I don't remember having problems with this one...
About the thickness on the bottom - did you try the taper option?

i seem to have a faulty memory, to bad i can't trade it for a new one that works better

Lol, maybe in a few decades you'll be able to user added image .

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 18 01-08-2008 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
ah, the taper will minimise only one end so it's ot really much help for doing both ends

i think scaling had its issues too, cuz it wouldn't leave the start and end points where i wanted then to be.

i'll do it again sometime soon but be more aware of the size of the thing i'm going to extrude...

or maybe i'll use lofting and animation to make it...that's something you don't see every day

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 19 05-08-2008 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
i thought this needed some work on it

so i started playing with animation snapshots and lofting which i didn't know could be done until i started snooping around Mikes homepage (thank you Mike user added image)

anyway, i think there must have been something really wrong with my curve because after lofting the result would be all twisted, and after fixing up the twists Maya would eventually crash.

So I tried it again and instead of keyframing the circle in different shapes i lofted first and then started working on the circles used in the loft. but editing CVs did BIZZARE stuff... just a slight mouse move with the scale tool would set the CVs off in massive uhh.... i dunno what you would call it, so i'm just gonna say displacements
the CVs were moved way more than what they should have been...or at least what i expected them to be. maybe they should have been moved to randomly large points due to my bad design, i dunno...

so i gave up (kinda) and just lofted the animation, scaled up the circles (strange how it didn't go all wild on the objects but it did on the CVs), and duplicated the lofted object and played with the edges

now that i look at it, you can't actually see the edge loops that have been moved in this screen shot....

Attached Thumbnails

# 20 03-09-2008 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
AO just for fun

it looks like it has a big piece of putty on it

Attached Images

# 21 25-09-2008 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
oh nutter... i'm not going to finsih this am i? user added image

my forgotten pride takes another hit :p

i'll shove this into the WIP sometime after the 17th of november

# 22 25-09-2008 , 10:39 PM
Too bad you quit user added image
Looking forward to your final model after the 17th of November then. user added image

# 23 26-09-2008 , 02:46 AM
^Yeah, Im sorry too that he quit! user added image
Hope to see more from this project in the wip section of this site!
user added image

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech