Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 24-12-2008 , 09:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
to be honest, I would recreate it as a normal map, unless it going to be closer for your final shot, chain mail size varies as well so its up to you how you wanna do this. You could create 3d chain mail then just add deformers to shape it up, dynamics would be good but unless its all being animated, to me it would be a waste of time. With a hi res still image you can get away with loads, you dont even have to build it all, just what you are going to see...anyway way back to the beer and christmas cheer!!

Jay

# 32 25-12-2008 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber
Thx Jay, I used a lattice deformer to shape up a patch and it worked pretty well. Here is the result.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 25-12-2008 , 02:39 PM
Top job Minstrel. easy enough in the end:attn:

Jay

# 34 26-12-2008 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Thx Jay, before delving into the skin of the guy I did a quick helmet. Its missing the piece covering the neck.

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 26-12-2008 , 11:03 PM
Looks great man,

Just that the helmet, good as it is, covers the work you've done on the face, but if thats the way you want it, then its up to you!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 36 31-12-2008 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
Hey Gster, the helmet was just a little distraction user added image

Here is some progress on the skin. Lost of work still.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 31-12-2008 , 02:18 AM
Good work really and keep up. user added image

# 38 31-12-2008 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
Thx for the encouragement.

Here is some progress on the skin. tried a different approach to how I was setting up the SSS and Im liking it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 31-12-2008 , 12:56 PM
very nice minstrel - really liking this a lot. are you using a bump on the skin yet? the sss is looking good.

# 40 01-01-2009 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
Hey Arran, thx for the comments. No, no bump map in there. That's the only texture map I haven't created yet. I tried using a saturated version of the color map, but I didn't like it. Im going to have to spend some more time with it. Anyways, I started wokring on the eyes and retouched some of the skin maps. Pretty soon i'll have to start creating the hair stuff, that'll be fun as usual.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 01-01-2009 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
started thinking about the rendering. Here is where i am at.

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 02-01-2009 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
Hey Guys, Im done with the textures for the head. He is now bold user added image

I still need to fine tune the transparent piece of the eye (im not getting enough reflections or spec), the piece of skin in the inner side of the eye, and the wet piece where the eye meets the eyelid.

And then, its on to the hair.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 03-01-2009 , 12:21 AM
I think because you back drop is black you wont get a great deal of reflection.

For the inner eye (iris etc) use a blinn with all the the spec settings turned off, but for the out glossy part use a phong E its better for the highlights and spec reflection, plus add a reflective environment image to the reflective color channel of the shader.

that should work, does for me!

Jay

# 44 03-01-2009 , 04:20 AM
Subscriber
Thx Jay, there is an IBL in there with primary visibility turned off, but it should be giving better reflections (the light source is the IBL node). I may have to map the reflectivity color directly to the HDR image instead of picking it up off the IBL. I'll test that.

The outer sphere of the eye is already a phong E shader, the inside sphere is a SSS shader with only specularity around the iris area.

# 45 03-01-2009 , 09:50 AM
IBL? too slow for my liking, just use a sphere with a surface shader on it with your environment map.

With regard to the inner eye, I dont think the sss shader is doing it any good atm, and the phong E should pick up some form of spec....

heres one of mine on my site https://www.outlaws3d.com/?pp_album=m...Anders_08c.jpg
all the shaders here are blinn and phong. The blinn is using sss settings under the MR tab

Jay