Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-10-2005 , 05:41 PM
Subscriber

Water Bottle WIP

Hey guys,

Well, I finally started working on a model without using tutorials, although it is a rather simple one. I chose a water bottle because I have easy reference to wate rbottles, I can use the label from the bottle as a texture for the label in Maya, and I thought it would be cool to use as a water storage container once I figure out how to put water into a created object. Anyways, it's actually been going decently well, but I've got one (Well two, but I'll focus on one until I figure out a solution) problem. The basic polygon is going well, and I've basically used only polygon cylinders for everything that I've created. The problem occurs when I use polygon smooth on the cylinders. While the center of the cylinder is perfectly smooth and circular as I would like, but the top edges of the cylinder curve outwards. Pictures of the various occurences of this problem are attached below, along with the .mb file. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me with this, as I am really enjoying making this bottle.

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92...tleproblem.jpg

[MOD edit] Image too large please resize your image next time 640x480 is all you need, linked the image instead...thanks

Attached Files
File Type: rar waterbottleproblem.rar (14.6 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by Nusirilo; 18-10-2005 at 11:35 PM.
# 2 15-10-2005 , 05:50 PM
click on the little square next to smooth.and check linear instead of exponential.after smooth your object.

# 3 15-10-2005 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mc-fleury
click on the little square next to smooth.and check linear instead of exponential.after smooth your object.

You rock man! Thanks so much. For future reference, however, what would the situation be that I would want to use exponential smoothing?

I will post my second problem soon, it has to do with texturing.

(Oh, and sorry about the super large picture, mod.)

# 4 15-10-2005 , 06:52 PM
it depend on what you try to do.if you smooth with exponential,your smoothed model will only have four side polygone.if your model has 3 side polygone before you smooth, and you smooth with linear, the smoothed version of your model will have tree side polygone.i know its not clear at all.sometime, my english can be very bad.i hope this helped.

# 5 15-10-2005 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
I think I get what your saying. Thanks again for your help man user added image

# 6 16-10-2005 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
Ok, time for problem #2. When applying the bottle label texture (Which I got from scanning an actual bottle label taken from an actual bottle) I see the glue that was used to make the label stick onto the bottle. I am not sure how I get the label to overlap on itself like it does in real life. Additionally, even though I only want the label to display on one side, it displays on both the inside and outside of the cylinder. How can I put a different colour/background on the inside layer of the cylinder?

user added image

Attached Files
File Type: rar waterbottlelabelproblem.rar (14.2 KB, 243 views)

# 7 17-10-2005 , 06:58 PM
You could use a layered shader with blank white section under the label to mask it out

# 8 17-10-2005 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
There's also an option that lets you make only one side of an object textured, just can't remember where it is. Another way to do it could be to just make a white (of whatever color you want) cylinder underneath the colored one

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 9 17-10-2005 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by blomkaal
There's also an option that lets you make only one side of an object textured, just can't remember where it is. Another way to do it could be to just make a white (of whatever color you want) cylinder underneath the colored one

That's what I was thinking (using a cylinder underneath the colored one) but I thought that there must be another way to do it beyond upping the polygon count.

# 10 18-10-2005 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
Here is an update of my water bottle. There are still a few things that I want to add to the scene. Firstly, does anyone know how I could put slightly noticeable ridges, hundreds of them, on the outside circumference of the water bottle cap? Secondly, is it a difficult process to put water into the bottle? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

user added image

Attached Files
File Type: mb waterbottle9.mb (162.1 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by Nusirilo; 19-10-2005 at 02:17 PM.
# 11 18-10-2005 , 11:36 PM
But was it really necessary to show all that grey? If you want to show detail you could zoom and crop, you know.

To create water you could create a cylinder and put inside and assign a shader that resembles water (refraction etc.) Be sure to use raytracing with enough high settings so the light could go though all walls (4 or 6 depending of how many sides your bottle has).

# 12 18-10-2005 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
But was it really necessary to show all that grey? If you want to show detail you could zoom and crop, you know.

To create water you could create a cylinder and put inside and assign a shader that resembles water (refraction etc.) Be sure to use raytracing with enough high settings so the light could go though all walls (4 or 6 depending of how many sides your bottle has).

I did think of cropping it out after the fact, but something is wrong with my photoshop. My brain isn't completely turned on tonight user added image

What would I do if I want to put interactive water that can be poured out of the container in animation and sloshes around in the bottle? I am assuming that that is extremely difficult.

# 13 19-10-2005 , 12:44 PM
Then you would use Maya Fluids. And it's a pretty complicated subject.

# 14 19-10-2005 , 02:06 PM
Use a layered shader for the lable, as for the water, you could go down the route odf particles for the water

# 15 19-10-2005 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Then you would use Maya Fluids. And it's a pretty complicated subject.

I don't suppose that there are any tutorials on this subject, even ones not on this website?

Also, what do you guys think of my bottle? I've noticed that no one has really commented on its quality. I didn't think it was that bad :p Should I post wireframe on shaded screenshots of it?