Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 23-04-2003 , 05:50 AM
I had to convert my subdivision mesh into polys for the final gather render cause mental ray doesnt render subDs and somehow I saved the scene after the conversion!!!! OMG this sucks! Anyone know how to revert a dense poly mesh back into a subDs mesh with no history and without having it get all triangulated?? ah, damn... well, I think Im out of this months contest...

I need a paying art job! ;o)
My website! That is groosly outdated...!

# 17 23-04-2003 , 06:06 AM
Ok, plan B: a wicked Drider chick like from dungeons and dragons.. (continues to kick himself repeatedly) that'll be pretty evil...

# 18 23-04-2003 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber
ok ok.. relax.. you have 2 options..

1). Your screwed becouse there is no way to lower the poly count with good results unless you go in there and start deliting edges buy hand. I have done that befor. no fun!!!

2). if you really want to contiue with this one. you can model the rest in low poly or subD. But put a lattice on the High poly. That will make it resonably tweekable !! any ruf edges you have ware the Latticed poly and the rest of the subD meet, you can hide pritty eazy. I say Hide them eazy becouse of looking at all the hiding places on your refrance.

Last edited by Pony; 23-04-2003 at 06:40 AM.
# 19 23-04-2003 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber
Sucks...
This sucks, I mean sucks, after a hard work you have to get start it from the beginning (almost from the beginning). user added image
Man, I wish you luck, because you will need it!!!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 20 23-04-2003 , 07:10 AM
Subscriber
Hi deadhand,

nice model, hope you get it to work... user added image

btw. you can convert subDs to Nurbs, and then again Nurbs to Poly's a bit akward, and the poly will properly keep a high poly count...

but afterwards you then maybe can use this plugin "Progressive Mesh v0.6"... -->
https://www.pojar.net/ProgressiveMesh/
it should be able to reduce the polycount as far as I have understood... I haven't tried it yet thou so I'm not 100% sure... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 21 23-04-2003 , 07:23 AM
thnx for the help and advice peeps.. but I think the model is toast... oh well, no use crying over spilled milk.. I've started a new model, this ones gonna be even cooler hehehe

looks like a blob now, but most models do at first...

# 22 23-04-2003 , 07:25 AM
Im actually using the picture of a drider in the AD&D 3rd edition monstrous manual for a refense but my scanner isnt hooked up atm so I found a pic on the net that will give you guys an idea of what one looks like ( for those who dont know)

# 23 23-04-2003 , 07:31 AM
and heres the first render... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha omg I've got a lot of work to do...

# 24 23-04-2003 , 03:27 PM
Subscriber
ah looking good user added image.. i suggest though that you select the whole butt of your beeman (faces) and then squish it and move it towards the butt again. Its definately a start, now just start adding a lot of detail user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 25 23-04-2003 , 06:24 PM
Looks really nice ! ..

maybe you should bend his legs in straights, instead of a curve tho .. user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 26 23-04-2003 , 07:18 PM
heres render #2....

# 27 23-04-2003 , 09:18 PM
**WARNING** Slight Nudity to Follow.....

heres the latest render on my Drider Queen :p

# 28 23-04-2003 , 11:55 PM
***NUDITY***

latest wireframe... here ya go!
Big difference from the 1st wireframe user added image
added ears and body tweaks....
still a long way to go

# 29 24-04-2003 , 12:14 AM
ArenĀ“t driders supposed to be male elves? user added image
Good work man

# 30 24-04-2003 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
LOL@Adl. well if it were male we wouldn't get to see the nudity part !! user added image