Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-01-2004 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber

Escape Studios Maya Courses

Just been looking at Escape Studios Maya Courses, they offer Learning Days, Day Courses and Evening Courses. I was interested in the Day courses which consist of either:

Maya Comprehensive (which consists of all below) £7,499
Maya Level 1 £1,899
Maya Level 2 £3,199
Maya Level 3 £3,199

They are rather expensive unless you have got the company paying for you user added image But I was thinking of forking out for one myself :eek2:

I have also looked at the evening courses which are cheaper but there is always the hassle of missing one of the evening classes due to work commitments

I just wondered if anyone here has been on any of these courses and whether they are worth the dosh and do anything to help you get into the industry.

Perhaps I should just stick to me books and DVDs... Oh and me Simply Maya downloads user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 07-01-2004 , 04:52 PM
hehehe i'll teach ya for have the price.....j/k

Ya i know what you mean i was looking into getting certifided by alias i just cant afford it right now. Bummer its always so expensive

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 08-01-2004 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
its nice looking studio from the outside, I skate at the skate park thats just down the road.

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 4 08-01-2004 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber
Christ! Judging by the response to this thread nobody uses Escape Studios... and at the prices they charge I am not surprised. Probably since the courses are payed for by companies rather than individuals as I originally said.

Although having spoken to Escape at 3DEC they said that they get all sorts of people interested from postmen to bank managers so there you go!

Perhaps I'll spend the money going over to meet Jason Busby and stay in the US and do one of his courses. Cheaper and you'd get to go to the States user added image

Gazzamataz
# 5 08-01-2004 , 08:29 PM
There was an issue of 3Dworld magazine a month or so go that had a big article on choosing the right school fo 3D. I keep looking at NYU for their certification class but always have to take that step back and wonder if I'd be in the same sketchy situation as I have been with web design in the past....volatile job market. I can see it already...spend $10k or more to get a certificate, then find little or no jobs....or find one that pays less than what I'm making as a web designer. I'm no fool; I realize there are teenagers that can blow me away in the 3D area skillwise. On the other hand, life's all about taking risks so sometimes maybe you just have to go for it.

Eh, sorry...just thinking out loud.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 10-01-2004 , 10:28 AM
Subscriber
"I'm no fool; I realize there are teenagers that can blow me away in the 3D area skillwise"

Does not mean you can't do a BLOW BACK ;-)

YOu are not playing football. As long as your mind is working and you are not 80+. It's too early and NEVER LATE!!!!
NOw get some Nitrogen into you and stick your head up high :-)

I was reading somewhere last month about a guy who is 76 and doing some good video editing work. He started at the age of 72.
SO as long as your marbles are intact you can do anything.

grrrr
# 7 10-01-2004 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber
slickrenderer

You've cheered me up! I am one of the oldest members here at SM (big 4-0 in march) and I often think oh I am too old to try to get into the industry now so I'll just doodle…

But hey, it's talent that matters and I think that I was born with some of that, so I will continue to strive.

I have the 'Animators Workbook' which is something of an inspiration since most of the Disney animators featured in it are, or were, in there 60' and 70's and still top of their craft.

I think the moment that I cannot use a computer or hold a pencil anymore is when I will think about giving up!

He who dares wins - RODNEYuser added image

Gazzamataz
# 8 10-01-2004 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
if you were to old I would be way past peak. I'm 33. and just starting.. I don't think they care much about age if you have some hot 3d skilles..

# 9 10-01-2004 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
"If you keep chopping at the tree it will eventually fall "
Someone

"If you really believe in something then you should do it otherwise you will never really know if you really believed in it" Leo Tolstoy

Currently I am going through some m...MAJOR problems at work due to my asshole boss. (nothing to do with age I am YOUNG just about)

That 2nd saying has really given me the strength to fight on and do what I always wanted to do ie. go freelance after 3 years of bull shit from my boss. He tried everything to discourage me even cam to a stage he was mobing me at work....it will be all history in 2 months :-)

grrrr
# 10 10-01-2004 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
He who dares wins - RODNEY

I love good old Rodney and chums. Nothing comes near there humour :-)

grrrr
# 11 22-01-2004 , 04:08 AM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Perhaps I'll spend the money going over to meet Jason Busby and stay in the US and do one of his courses. Cheaper and you'd get to go to the States user added image

If you're oging to go that route, make sure all your papers are in order. We had about half-a-dozen people registered for classes this semester that canceled out last minute due to not having their Visas in order. Homeland security ain't foolin' around.
user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu