Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-10-2002 , 08:14 AM

Maya for Linux?

Hi,

At A|W's site they state:

Customers wishing to purchase Linux or IRIX versions of Maya should contact a local reseller.

I started thinking is the 4.5 even ported to Linux yet? Does anyone know?

Someone who is expert on this area could enlighten me what is the current situation; Can one get along with just Linux? I mean are there enough good image manipulation, compositing, video editing, audio editing, etc tools for it?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

Last edited by kbrown; 29-10-2002 at 08:18 AM.
# 2 29-10-2002 , 09:12 PM
SM Alumni
Maya 4.5 is available for Linux and the free beta of MentalRay for the Linux version of Maya 4.5 is ready too user added image

From what I understand from friends that run Maya in Linux it's much faster and smoother than running in Windows. There are a lot of free graphic apps available for compositing, processing etc. out there. It's got better memory management and requires a lot less to run the same app as in Windows. From what I understand Photoshop will be getting ported over soon user added image

As soon as more apps get ported over and Linux is more compatible with pro audio, I'll be switching!

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 29-10-2002 , 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Darkon
As soon as more apps get ported over and Linux is more compatible with pro audio, I'll be switching!

That's what I was thinking too. I just haven't been following the evolution of the linux world lately. That's why I asked.

What apps are there for it already besides Maya?

Btw, last time I tried The Gimp looked very promising. Much like Photoshop but free!

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 30-10-2002 , 06:54 AM
yeah, i like the GIMP a lot. no need to port photoshop unless they're (HAHA) making it open-source.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.