Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 26-07-2006 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
wow is all i can say

love the mat touch ... mat gas lol

# 32 26-07-2006 , 05:59 PM
This is turning out real good. Great job so far mat.

# 33 27-07-2006 , 12:50 AM
19 year Veteran
This is quickly turning into a solid favorite for me. Keep it up!user added image

# 34 27-07-2006 , 09:31 AM
nice attention to detail with the background scenery - and I really like the post apolcalyptic style background user added image
are you going to weather the brickwork a fair bit?

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 35 27-07-2006 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber
Thanks everyone!

mmoore, it had to be done!!

T1ck, the scene is slowly spiralling out of control on the detail front. Weathering stuff is pretty high on my lto do listalong with some more modelling. I've been working on the near caravan door this morning, I'm avoiding the ground for the moment as I'm not really sure whether I'm happy with the stones or if I want more of a paving slab look to it. I'll get round to it at some point. Good luck with the wedding by the way!

Any crit welcomed.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 27-07-2006 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
Here's the last one for today, I've added quite a bit to the scene this afternoon in the way of textures and smaller detail, I've also tried out plenty of ideas that won't be making it to the final picture!

I bumped up the render quality for this one to give me a proper idea of how it looks, I'm pretty pleased with the result so far, there's plenty more to do though.

I'd appreciate feedback and I'll take on board any crit.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 27-07-2006 , 05:27 PM
wow - awesome work mat - this is really coming along nice!

I agree that the stones need some work - they just seem a bit plasticky at the moment. Also I think the tree needs to be messed up a bit - it just sems a little too 'man made' if you know what I mean.

I love the caravan and all of the little details - the textures are great! Top work mate! user added image

Last edited by arran; 28-07-2006 at 04:25 PM.
# 38 28-07-2006 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
Thanks arran,

I totally agree with everyone about the stones and I will be changing them to paving slabs in the near future. Initially the scene was going to be set in an African type desert village where the stones would have fit in quite nicely, I think that something a little more manufactured is needed for the scene as it stands now.

The tree, that's just a paint effect. I've not got round to doing anything with it yet apart from turning it into polygons, I'll try to make it look a little gnarlier and twisted at some point, probably after I've dealt with the stones.

Here's a small update, the curtain is now tattered. the picture shows a little of the mesh too which might be interesting to some of you, maybe not though!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 28-07-2006 , 09:47 AM
looking nice user added image

I think paving stones would look better than the brick. It could also look good without anything but a mound of dirt surrounding the part coming out of the ground.
keep it up!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 40 29-07-2006 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
Looking great so far! It really has a apcolyptic feel. And I really love your texturing job so far.

That background, did you make it?

# 41 29-07-2006 , 07:18 AM
Subscriber
Thanks folks,

Eldwick, the sky is an HDRI from evermotion, light emission is turned off in the image based lighting attributes, and the cityscape is a texture that I made in photoshop using a panoramic view of London.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 42 31-07-2006 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
Hello there,

I had the weekend off, visiting friends and family and remembering the horror that is the British rail network!!

I managed to sit down this afternoon and make a few adjustments to my picture the main one being replacing the cobble stones with paving slabs, I'll be texturing them next. Also, I've also used paint effects to put some dried grass around the scene and put a childs ball in there too.

I'd really appreciate any crit or thoughts you have about the picture so far.

Cheers,

Mat

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 31-07-2006 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
i like what you have done alot ..with the stones and little grass ...

just dont know about the ball but that is just my opinion ..it just looks outo f place with the theme you have going on .....if this makes sense ..the mood of the whole scene ..dreary

# 44 31-07-2006 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
Hey there mmoore, how's it going?

Cheers for your thoughts, I put the ball in to show that it's not just adults that are affected by the lack of water, it's meant to represent the children that aren't in the picture because they've either moved on to find water or have died.

I thought of maybe using a tricycle to illustrate this but I changed my mind as I figured that it was a little cliched but thinking about it the whole scene is a bit of a cliche really. I might change my mind again if the ball isn't getting the point across properly, maybe I'll make a washing line with tattered kids clothes on it. There's still plenty of time to get things right so feedback is good.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 45 31-07-2006 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
i actually think your idea of a tricycle would be really good and make it rusted and old .....

i think it was more like the ball having more color than the whole scene but maybe that is me

but so far out of the challenge i like yours the best so far ...good work