Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-12-2011 , 07:16 PM

modeling and animating a gel/slime monster?

If any of you are into games I'm sure you have seen 2d or 3d forms of some type of slime monster(usually in the form of a cube, deformed sphere, etc).

My experience in maya is mostly in using the polygon box modeling technique(I believe there are various names for this methodology?). I am a little unsure though what kind of approach I should take to model this cube-shaped slime, such that when animated it looks like it is indeed gelatinous, slightly fluid like. I am planning on exporting this ultimately to UDK, so I am trying to avoid any maya specific shaders. This is very vague I know, please ask questions if they will help explain. This is something I do as a hobby, for fun. My real experience is in programming.

# 2 28-12-2011 , 07:19 PM
Technical Director
You can always block model the character, then turn it into an nCloth object with volume preservation; then bake the model once simulated.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 28-12-2011 , 08:53 PM
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for =). Will see what comes out of it, when I get back home today.