Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-04-2007 , 11:28 AM

creating character on a real live footage as a plane?

what program is used when a character created in maya with animation is rendered with a real life footage as background and image plane ( let say a desk )

its pretty common in demo reels and stuff

so the background would be a real life video footage of say a table , while the character is created from maya

any tutorials on this?

any advise?

# 2 08-04-2007 , 11:31 AM
you would do that it Maya, and maybe after-effects.
however im not sure how to do it:blush: :blush:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 08-04-2007 , 02:24 PM
its motion tacking and its using maya with after effects

# 4 09-04-2007 , 06:09 PM
first of all you might read about the maya live module. in order to get the right camera movement from your footage you have to motion track the video. that from you get a animated camera which you use on your 3D-object. so you just render your whatever with alpha and compose it in adobe aftereffects or premiere or whatever package you like.

good luck!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 5 09-04-2007 , 06:48 PM
Senior Software Developer
As fallot stated above. That is the way its done.

I would do the render of the CGI with Motiontracking using a greenscreen background, this will make it easier to composite with the real footage in Post Production.

After effects is the way ahead for working in Post.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 10-04-2007 , 08:57 AM
cool . but too bad my knowledge of maya is still very raw . dont think there is such a tutorial around , guess will have to expriment around

thks guys

# 7 10-04-2007 , 11:45 AM
Try doing something simple to start with. My first dive into it was making a Cg domino run with a real photo background, all I had to do was create a poly cube for the table match it to an image plane on a render cam with the same settings as the real cvamera, make the domino's light it and render in layers and comp it.

Camne out pretty good (probably would look really naff now as it was when I first started with maya!) And quite simple on time etc etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 10-04-2007 , 07:26 PM
icewindfiresnow
you need the program called Boujou its whats used in all the movies, way easier then trying to do it with green screen and after effects

# 9 10-04-2007 , 07:40 PM

Originally posted by icewindfiresnow
you need the program called Boujou its whats used in all the movies, way easier then trying to do it with green screen and after effects

You can use Maya live, thats pretty easy to use and comes with tutorials on how to use it (just look in the help files) I've not had a problem tracking with it. Like Fallot said.

I cant really see an application for a green screen in this situation as your adding the maya to the background, not the other way round where you want to make a Cg backgroung look ike its actually in the shot wher you would have to matt it out.

The only time you woulld use a tracking software would be when your background plate is movine (say a road with no cars on and you pan left to right and your going to add a cg car) and you need the camera movement of the shot to go into maya so that your Cg camera matches your real camera.

If its a still shot or a video shot on a static tripod then theres no need to track it at all.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 11-04-2007 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD

I would do the render of the CGI with Motiontracking using a greenscreen background, this will make it easier to composite with the real footage in Post Production.

After effects is the way ahead for working in Post.

cannot agree with that.

generating cgi you have the benefit in generating an alpha with your image. so... using a green background just complicates the whole thing.

just render it with alpha chekced on as targa or tiff.. bam.

# 11 11-04-2007 , 11:17 AM
BadG3r's got it spot on.

Accept no substitutions.