Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 91 04-03-2004 , 06:17 PM
Very nice=) Good job=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 92 04-03-2004 , 06:19 PM
Well done, it's great that you saw this thru even after a bit of adversity. What I would say (and no offence to Kurt here!) but the model could do with some forearms. It looks a little unbalanced at the moment. Just the way it's leaning fowards but has nothing at the front to support it'self at all. Just my opinion.

Well done again

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 93 04-03-2004 , 06:42 PM
Looks really good but I would never use bolleans, especially on something that you want to deform. delete the faces you want to replace. Use Polygon-attach then use polygon tool append to fill the gaps or weld the verts.

# 94 04-03-2004 , 08:13 PM
Thanks guys. I am thinking about what I want to do as my next project.

Kurt, good job on the tutorial.

This is the first attempt I have made to document a project in the WIP forum. I started to worry I was posting to many images. For future projects I will try to use my comcast web account.

I did not use it much for this project because I still have to get it set up right. Getting that web page set up is one of the things on my "to do" list.

Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2004 at 08:21 PM.
# 95 04-03-2004 , 08:28 PM
I have a question for the veteran modelers.

I think the neck scale details enhances the look of the model and it was part of my vision when I squared off the chest muscles.

My question is - I was torn between whether I should model the details as I did or use a bump or disp map. Did I choose the correct path by modeling the detail?

Also, since my experiment with the abdominal muscles stirred up some debate I believe I will redo the stomach area with scale details similar to those on the neck. I really like the way the neck and frontal chest scale plates turned out.

Last edited by ctbram; 05-03-2004 at 04:36 PM.
# 96 04-03-2004 , 08:29 PM
I use a combination of both most times.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 97 05-03-2004 , 10:17 AM
Good progress , im ejoying a lot the way you model is developing.

weld some pixels !!!
# 98 05-03-2004 , 11:11 AM
rule of thumb: never model what can be textured.... a bump map probably wouldnt have given you the results you wanted. A displacement might have but maya's displacement sucks so that probably wouldnt have either. So you probably did the right thing user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 99 05-03-2004 , 04:34 PM
Thanks!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 100 05-03-2004 , 08:44 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 06-03-2004 at 03:36 AM.
# 101 05-03-2004 , 11:55 PM
budy what is your next one??? is this your first simply maya model, with tutorial from simply maya site or is this your first maya project of all??? See ya

# 102 06-03-2004 , 03:05 AM
Ankalagon:

This would be my 3rd Maya project ever. It is the first organic project I have done using the SM tutorials.

My second project was an inorganic model of a Tie Fighter (another SM tutorial project)

Model: https://home.comcast.net\~rmulawa\may...nterceptor.rar

Image attached.

The first project I tried in Maya was a nurbs model I started but did not complete of my nephew. This was a tad to ambitious for a first project but I hope to return to it and complete the modeling, texturing and rigging.

Nurbs human model thread: https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=10591

I have used Maya for a grand total of maybe 9 weeks on and off (the last 2 of those being this Dragon model). I have absolutely zero experience with UV layout, texturing, rigging or compositing.

I did work for SGI for 5 years and I spent a lot of time watching professional modelers, and I read a couple books on 3D modeling.

As for my next project?

I think it will be something organic. I am trying to find some reference material to work with atm. Aside from the nurbs model attempt of my newphew all my projects have been based on sm reference art.

I am trying to self teach myself to draw so I can do my own reference drawings but so far I only have a drawing human anatomy book to work from. I need to put together a complete art training program for myself and then practice, practice, practice. I plan on getting a couple sketch pads and carrying one all the time and sketching every chance I get.

Why?

Well at the ripe old age of 42 I decided I like art, and Maya modeling. To late to make a career of it maybe, but I wish to get as good as I can because I love the creativity I have with Maya and the satisfaction of being able to bring something from a simple idea and 2D drawing to life! (and I don't believe in doing anything half way!)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 18-04-2004 at 02:56 AM.
# 103 06-03-2004 , 09:45 AM
Wery nice story sir, you dont need to know to draw your self there is so many good drawers, and on net you can find the references for enitynig you whant, here is one realy nice site https://starwarrior.theforce.ru/encycl/scans/egvv.htm, hope it will help in your lerning project, and here is another www.3d.sk see ya mait

# 104 06-03-2004 , 09:48 AM
Oh forget, realy nice work with that boy, and with dragon and star fighter, think you are wery good modeler, step deeply in maya start with UV texturing, riging animating, see ya

# 105 07-03-2004 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
wow! i just saw this thread....your progress is impressive. that was a nice model....really good. i'm anxious to see what you'll do next. your determination is inspiring...so, that will be something that will boost my drive especially when things won't go as i want them. user added image i too have some difficulties to deal with. i too have no formal or at least a decent art training. i pretty much leap thrugh by myself. sometimes it's really hard (having to learn things firtst on your own before you can actually do something decent) but it is very rewarding knowing you have done this and that. and learned so much from it.

your issue is your age...if i got it correctly. mine is my resources and location. but i don't think being at your age will stop you fromm doing what you love...as you've clearly demonstrated. and that's always something to think about... user added image

about your drawing skills...you might want to check out the book by Betty Edwards entitled Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain its a very good book intended for those who think they don't have the talent. the book will tell you that if you can write your name clearly, you can draw.

goodluck with your future models...i'll be checking them out...that's for sure. :tup:

[SIZE=1.5]They say if you keep on trying, its good exercise.....lol[/SIZE]

Last edited by frayo; 07-03-2004 at 12:30 AM.