Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-02-2010 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber

New to maya

Hello all

I'm completely new to maya.

Last night installed demo and got lost.

I'm not completely new to 3D. I have a little experience in Rhino mostly nurbs but i could never grasp some aspects of it. I'm mostly automotive body design oriented.

Attached is as far as i could get, its very silly. I was mostly freestyling here, didn't know what was going to come out of it, looks like austin martin., i think.

Anyway, considering that, my question to you guys is: what to learn for car body modelling? What is easiest to do it with? Burbs and then surfaces or polygon from the start?

Maybe you guys have a good video suggestion that I should give a try, it might help.

I'm new to commands too. The interface is completely new to me, I get lost everywhere, can't even figure out how to end commands. In Autocad and Rhino its just Esc key, but here its wierd.

Any help will help.

Attached Thumbnails

derivatives
# 2 22-02-2010 , 09:23 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
umhhh have you gone through the documentation?? if reading is not your kind of thing head over to digital tutors for videos tut also there are some free tutorials on this site you can check out

# 3 24-02-2010 , 01:32 AM
may be u can try search for tutorial about car modeling using nurbs, and learn the basic nurbs modling technique in maya,

ther are few tools i would suggest u to learn for nurbs modeling in maya:
1. using "ep" and "cv" curves and convert to nurbs
2. "revolve", "loft", "planar" and "extrude" tools
3."projecting curves" on surfaces and using the "trim tools"
4. learn how to joint, attach, detach curves
5.using "fillet blend tools"
6. and "non-linear deformer" to bend your nurbs

# 4 25-02-2010 , 09:22 PM
I started in Rhino as well but i never really got too far in it before I switched to maya. Yes the interface in rhino is more typing in a command rather than looking for the command in a pulldown menu.
With most commands in maya, just hit enter to end the command, but this really depends on the type of tool your using.

Ps: welcome to maya!!