Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-12-2005 , 09:14 PM

sphere pushing through tube

This is harder than I thought.....

I want to have a sphere push through an intestinal looking tube. The sphere is larger than the diameter of the tube so it will stretch the edges as it moves through.

Right now I have the tube as a soft body and the sphere as a rigid body and "make collide" selected.

The problem is the sphere appears through the outside of the tube as it moves. and the tube acts buggy when they collide.

I want the sphere to be LOCKED inside the tube but stretching the walls or skin of it.

like a large rubber ball pushing it's way through a thin rubber hose.

I hope this makes sense.

thanks in advance!

# 2 15-12-2005 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber
i would in this case not use dynamics but simple deformers.
- select the tube, then deform>sculpt deformer,
then parent the sculpt deformer to the sphere going through the tube.
then just animate the sphere and the sculpt deformer will deform the tube as it goes along the path.
be sure to make the sculpt slightly larger than the sphere so that the sphere is siting inside it to give u enough room to make it look like as if the sphere is deforming the tube.

good luck.

# 3 15-12-2005 , 10:29 PM
Vlad,

Muchas Gracias. The sculpt deformer tool works perfectly.