Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-04-2009 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber

Maya Software vs Mental Ray

I've always rendered in mental ray... haven't given Software much of a look. Do people favor one over the other? Is there a certain look that favors one render engine over another?

# 2 22-04-2009 , 08:40 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Mental ray is physically accurate,good for raytracing, caustics and such, it's difficult to master it though, maya software is used mostly by people who just started and need to get to grips with the software and sometimes for faking an effect, it's said to be quicker with rendering since it's not as accurate as mental ray.
I don't see any real advantages of using maya software over mental ray honestly....

# 3 22-04-2009 , 08:52 PM
The Nurb Herd
i use both...
i have a spaceship in the challenge and its rendered in both. user added image

# 4 23-04-2009 , 08:03 AM
Yeah I use both depending on what I need/want and timeframes, though I do generally use Mental Ray

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle