Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-01-2004 , 07:16 PM

Hello & Dragon Tut WIP

Hello everyone user added image

First, I would like to thank Kurt Boutilier for that awsome dragon tutorial. I really liked the way you set up that tutorial and all the great details you explained throughout the tut.
Your tutorial was greatly apreciated, sir!

I am a complete beginner with 3D applications - and this is basically my first attempt of modeling something in Maya. Ok, I've completed some of the tutorials that came with the CD. But I found those a little bit boring most of the time.

I downloaded all the parts of the dragon tut last night, and yeah, I was up pulling and pushing vertices, splitting polygons, and extruding faces for the last ehm... 8 hours or so... I had lots of fun, and I believe that I am starting to get the hang of Maya.
I am really tired now, and I'm sure that I'm going to dream about those darn polys and vertices - lol

Ah well, I'll stop wasting your guy's time n bandwidth, and go to bed. When I get up of course I will immediately continue adding the finesses (hope I get to manage those too user added image)

Here's where I got so far with modeling dragon. It's probably going to turn out a little bit different then the original, but I guess that's ok.

user added image

user added image

user added image

I'll keep you updated with my progress throughout this tut - of course only if it is ok.

Again, thank you SM for all the help. I'm glad I found this great site with such a friendly and helpful community. Lots of pro's here. Kinda scary ;-)

You all keep the good work up.

derico signing off...

MOD EDIT: Fixed image link.

Last edited by derico; 02-01-2004 at 07:27 PM.
# 2 02-01-2004 , 07:31 PM
Hi derico,

Thank you for the kinds words=) Im very happy to hear that you enjoyed the dragon tut so much, makes me feel great that your learning so much from it. Plz post up your stages as you go along I would like to see its progression and add some comments as you go.

The head is turning out really nice... The only area I see that you might want to tweak a bit is the cheek. Its a bit pointed at the moment other than that it looks great.

Oh and hopefully soon the tut on making his body will be out. It has been finished and is just getting fixed up for downloading now.

Again thanks

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 02-01-2004 , 07:44 PM
Hey Kurt, wow that was a quick response - I wasn't even done editing yet user added image

I will work on that cheek, now that you mentioned it I can also see how pointy it is.
I was thinking of adding some sort of hair/mustache/beard on his cheecks (If I manage to find out how)

One little problem I do have that I don't know how to fix:
I made a screenie:
user added image

I tried to merge edges, vertices, etc but nothing would change. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance user added image

I'm really looking forward to the dragon body tutorial. I've seen the thread about it in the forum. Looks very promising =)

Last edited by derico; 02-01-2004 at 07:47 PM.
# 4 02-01-2004 , 08:01 PM
Dont worry about that round part in the screen mate, its from the to halfs of the head not combined yet. Once you combine and merge it all nice it will not be there.

hair/mustache/beard its not hard, once you see how the fins are done in the later parts of the tut just use the same technique.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 02-01-2004 , 08:15 PM
Oh I see, so those rounded edges are normal. Good to know - I was trying to find a solution for that non-problem for about an hour -lol

I did watch the part where you talked about the fins, and thought about the possibilities of using the same method for making the mustache. I'll see how it turns out once I get to that point.

Again, thanks for your input =)

# 6 02-01-2004 , 08:40 PM
SM Tea Boy
Well the dragon body I'm happy to say will be out soon, hopefully you will enjoy that one just as much.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 03-01-2004 , 11:11 AM
I am now officially addicted to Maya =)
As you can see I am not really going by the image plane anymore - at least I'm trying to include some of my own ideas.
The fins for example, were not organic enough for my personal taste so I added some "dunno what to call'em in English" user added image

I really like this tut because Kurt covers and explains so much important basic stuff which most other tuts on the web just skip because it seems obvious to the author. Unfortunately, to me nothing is obvious (yet) when it comes to maya. But I'm getting there.

user added image

I'm looking forward to the day when I can use the things I've learned from the cyclops texturing tut to UV map that dragon. Looks like I'll have to do a lot more then just watch tuts in order to get the hang of UV mapping -lol
I think I'm going to order some books that discuss that topic.

Last edited by derico; 03-01-2004 at 02:10 PM.
# 8 03-01-2004 , 04:28 PM
looking good. As far as the uv's its just takes time to get the hang of it its a art form in its self.