View Poll Results: Best way to model a NURBS head (and character)
Lots of quadrilateral patches. 3 37.50%
Lofting edited duplicates of a CV curve. 1 12.50%
Lofting several NURBS circles. 0 0%
Other (please explain) 3 37.50%
Polygons > NURBS !!! (please give reasons) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-11-2003 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber

Preferred techniques for NURBS modelling a character?

Ok, I understand there are several methods of doing this to get an equally good result - I would just like to know what techniques people use and for what reason. For example, easier ways of doing it and/or ways that allow for more customisation.

The only methods I have come across so far are:

- Creating square patches from several custom drawn CV curves.
- Rotating a single CV curve that makes the outer shape of the head, manipulating each one's points and then lofting them.
- Placing several NURBS circles into position and then lofting them in order to get the shape.

Please vote as to which is your preferred method, so I can get some idea of the best way to start practising. At the moment, there are so many techniques I have no idea where to begin!

Last edited by MastahUK; 04-11-2003 at 11:14 PM.
# 2 05-11-2003 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber
I wouldnt say 'Lots'. when patch modelling, I use only as many patches as i need to interupt surface continuity. and then, as few as possible.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 05-11-2003 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
There are several ways to patch model I couldnt tell you what one to use because they are all good methods it all depends on how you like to model.

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 4 05-11-2003 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the input.

So, it seems as though patch modelling is the way to go rather than lofting curves/circles. I've never had much luck with this method (or any of the other ones for that matter user added image ), so I guess I'll just keep at it then.

Does anyone know where I can find tutorials for NURBS modelling a human character using this patch method? I haven't been able to find one yet.

# 5 05-11-2003 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
Mike has 2 or 3 great patch tutorial on this site. after you finish those, go to the Bingo thread. we covered a lot of patch modeling there.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 6 05-11-2003 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks a lot!

I will probably buy some points and get them later on when I have some time user added image

# 7 06-11-2003 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
I just bought 14 points to get me started, and ideally I would want this to last me for a bit. This is why I am having a tough choice deciding which tutorials to get.......as I don't even know what half of their descriptions mean anyway! user added image

Mike's "Polygon Head Modelling Project" looks good, but that is 8 points in total. The "CPS - Head Modelling" tutorials also looks good, and is also 8 points in total. What even does this CPS method mean?? I don't want to get it and then find it isn't what I'm looking for. I also wanted to get Mike's "Nurbs Radial Head Overview" tutorials for 2 points (good idea?).

Now although my knowledge of maya lacks somewhat at the moment, I know enough to realise that 8 + 8 + 2 is more than 14 user added image . Which is where I need some advice - what tuts would you recommend for a n00b such as myself? Perhaps even ones that I haven't mentioned if you feel they illustrate important techinques.

Thanks a lot for any help.

# 8 07-11-2003 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
as a noob, you need all of them. Polygons will get you started and in lots of cases end up as your finished model. Nurbs/patch modelling is more of an advanced modelling technique that works best if your using a polygon or subdivision referance model to start from, then patch it out in Nurbs to reduce geometry and speed up your scene. Learn to work with all 3 modelling forms. I cannot stress that enough. they are all stand alone and co-dependant based on what you what your final outcome to be and how much work you are willing to do. and by all means, dont be afraid to mix them (ie. Polygon or sub D body with nurbs clothes, polygon head with nurbs eyes and hair, or even the rare sub'd head with nurbs body. I've seen that one done.)

PS. sorry i took so long to reply to your post.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 9 07-11-2003 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your time once again iron_tick.

I realise that I should learn all 3 methods, and I intend to. But I am desperately trying to learn how to model characters well for now, otherwise I am never gonna make the December 31st challenge deadline. So I was just after advice on which tutorials I should get with the 14 points I had.......of course I plan to buy more with the points I will win in January (yeah right! :p ).

I have decided to just use poly's for now anyway, I find it easier. Currently I have got mike's first and second poly head tutorial, as well as his one on modelling an ear. I'm finding them all very clear and easy to follow, except the ear is being a pain in the $*%! Nothing against the ear tutorial though, it's just me - I'm trying to do more than I should at this stage I think.

After I get parts 3 and 4 of the poly head tutorial, I will have 4 points left. Is there anything for that much that would benefit me for now? I'm very indecisive when it comes to stuff like this.

# 10 08-11-2003 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
Dont forget to go to mikes website also. He's got the webs best poly tutorials for maya IMHO.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 11 08-11-2003 , 07:38 AM
The Maya Mountain
I think the Arm Stitching tutorials are pretty handy. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Iron_Tick. user added image

Glad you're finding the vids helpful, MastahUK. user added image Thanks for supporting the site!