Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-12-2002 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber

It's all in the vertex normals ..

Hi,

I don't know if these follow up aggrevate people or not, if so then let me know.

Anyway, I was getting the rounded edges on my cube object when I rendered and it all went back to the issue of vertex normals .... any package I used before just had face normals, which maya also does, but no vertex normals to worry about.

Anyway, I had selected all faces and did a normal average, which had eliminated all vertex's that had more than one normal including the corner vertex's. What this did was create rounded corners. I fixed the model and vertex's and have attached an image showing what and why. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Well, I guess that about covers vertex normals in my life .......

Cheers,

Don.

# 2 17-12-2002 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
Second photo with correct vertex including outside one. If you nned to see bad image then go to post on smoothing by myself :o)

# 3 17-12-2002 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
This was the bad one .............. as you can see no vertex normals pointing outward ....

# 4 17-12-2002 , 01:46 AM
Hey Don, wanna email me the file? I'd like to take a closer look at it to see if I can help you on your shading issue.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 17-12-2002 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber
Hey Danny,

Thanks for the offer, but it's cool. The shading is good now as I have things arranged like the photo at the top of this thread. Once I figured out how the vertex normals worked then all was fine.

However, I would have never figured them out without your kind help. I just posted this thread so that hopefully others who were not aware of how important knowing about these normals are in polygon modeling in Maya ... would become aware.

I'll save your offer for later and hopefully you'll be just as accomodating.

You're a good guy.

Cheers,

Don.

# 6 17-12-2002 , 03:32 AM
Subscriber
oops, actually it's the middle photo where everything renders just fine ........ arghhhhhhhhh!