Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-04-2008 , 05:11 AM

Extracted part of polygon... how to remove from group?

I'm making these rails for a rifle. At first the main portion of the rifle, consisting of the top rail and upper and lower receivers, were all from one polygon that I shaped out of a box.

user added image

Later I realized that it would be better to separate them. So I extracted the three sections from the polygon, and now the original polygon is in three parts (the top rail, upper receiver, and lower receiver)

user added image

I duplicated the top rail to use for another portion of the gun. The problem is that when I rotate it, it deforms. I searched the FAQ and saw that the solution was to remove the object from a group or parent. After reading this, I checked out the Hypergraph, and sure enough, the top rail, the upper and lower receivers are still grouped to the original polygon from which it was extracted.

user added image

How do I remove this relationship of the rail (and the other 2 parts) from the former polygon?

After doing so, can I delete the old MainReceiver polygon without deleting the 3 parts?

Thanks in advance.

# 2 06-04-2008 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber
If I get what your after I believe the easiest way to take the parts out of the group would be to open the outliner and middle mouse drag them out of the desired groups.

Chris

# 3 06-04-2008 , 11:39 AM
yeah - also probably a good idea to delete history too.

# 4 07-04-2008 , 11:34 AM
YEY!!! It worked! You saved me! :attn:

Thanks a bunch!

# 5 08-04-2008 , 12:06 PM
you can also middle mouse and drag out of the group in the hypergraph. You can parent things the same way, by middle mouse and dragging on top of another object, the object you dragged will become a child of the target.

And as said, deleting history, and perhaps freezing transforms (depending on what you intend to do with the objects) might be a good idea.