Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-08-2015 , 10:10 AM

Multiple Attributes to drive an object?

Basically, I have a setup where I want a controller to control the visibility of multiple other objects, based on where the controller is (the controller's position), The controller goes along the X and Y axis 5 units on each axis (2.5 units in each direction from the centre, the centre being 0,0, the top right being 2.5, 2.5 and the bottom left being -2.5, -2.5). There are 3 positions on each axis that I am going to have the keys set up in.

Left is negative, down is negative, right is positive and up is positive. So the object with the biggest X and Y values would be visible when the controller moves to 2.5, 2.5. The object with the biggest X value but only the middle Y value would be visible when the controller is at 2.5, 0. The object with the biggest X value but the smallest Y value would be visible at 2.5, -2.5. This keeps going. For example, the object with the smallest X and Y value would be visible at -2.5, -2.5. The object with the smallest X value but the largest Y value would be visible at -2.5, 2.5. The object with the middle X value and the middle Y value would be at 0, 0.

If you have managed to get through those last two (very hard to understand) paragraphs, and still know what I'm on about, that's great! To put my problem into simple terms, is there a way to drive and object with the multiple attributes (eg. Transform X and Transform Y) at the same time when using "Set Driven Key"? I have tried making the X and Y attributes drive objects separately but it has failed.

Thanks in advance!