Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-10-2005 , 01:44 AM

bi-railing from curve profiles

Hello,

I am an absolute newbie, as they say. I am trying to model a human head using the EP curve tool, and then bi-railing the profiles to create NURBS surfaces.

I started by making curves which follow the two profiles of a head (from front and side images). I've now got my profiles done... (I've "attached" the .mb file to this post.)

I want to start creating surfaces by bi-railing. So I select the bi-rail-2 tool, and the select two profiles (curves) and it tells me to select to "rails" which I do, and yet I still don't get a NURBS surface!

Sorry for my vagueness! This is essentially my first Maya model. I'd really appreciate any help with this. I really have no idea why it's not generating NURBS surfaces for me...

Cheers,
Simon

Edit: when I run the tool it gives me this message in the box at the bottom of the screen:

Result: dspBirailSurface17 dpBirailSrf17

I have no idea what that means... Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: mb head.mb (83.4 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by simoncullen; 10-10-2005 at 01:57 AM.
# 2 12-10-2005 , 06:38 PM
what maya version is that file? i can´t open it..

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 12-10-2005 , 06:44 PM

Maya 7 (linux)

I've saved it at MayaASCII and attached it to this post.

Thanks for looking!

Simon

Attached Files
File Type: ma head.ma (105.0 KB, 176 views)
# 4 12-10-2005 , 06:54 PM
hm, sorry. still can´t open it. you work with PLE?

# 5 12-10-2005 , 07:05 PM
I've changed the permissions on the file, try this one...

Cheers,
Simon

Attached Files
File Type: ma head.ma (105.0 KB, 174 views)
# 6 12-10-2005 , 07:29 PM
while I still can´t open it due to the following -> Maya binary file parse error: : (6) corrupted file structure;
I try to image what it could be.

first of -> make sure all of your profiles have history deleted - very important. secondly, the profiles have to intersect each other which means curvesnap the first profile when setting up next profile and so on. after you have your profiles tweaked to your pleasance and deleted history again on all curves -

-very important-

go Edit Curves -> Cut Curve.
this cuts all curves at their intersection points. only if your curves are sepparated the birail tool will work out well. that was my pain in the ass once which kept me thinking for some days..

but I´m not into curves and nurbs really, so it could be anything else!

But:
Result: dspBirailSurface17 dpBirailSrf17

means when performing the birail operation your surface was created! maybe try executing this command ->

select dspBirailSurface17 dpBirailSrf17 ;

in the Script Editor. you have selected the created surface then and might go to the hypergraph/outliner and have a look at it.