Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 121 24-02-2006 , 08:26 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
at the moment she does look half pregnant.
something looks wrong on her knee caps, it looks a little bit like deformed metal.. i dont know.

13th Resident: Do you think so? Deformed metal? half preganant, I'd better quit now then....LOL

Kurt: Thanks man, hope all is well with you...

Kind regards
Jay

# 122 24-02-2006 , 08:29 AM
Can someone be just half pregnant???

She looks great, Jay

# 123 24-02-2006 , 09:31 AM
the shape of her hips appear to be too straight modeled. every woman has those "double hip" masses. the 1st upper curve is where the hip bone is to be noticed. the 2nd and more protruding curve is muscle, or fat probably. in CG I guess there is a tendency to model this part as one continuing curve shape but in reality the feminine hip is determined by - first bone_curve and then muscle_curve.

kind regards

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Falott; 24-02-2006 at 12:38 PM.
# 124 24-02-2006 , 09:34 AM
except that the reference is some sort of supermodel. they indeed have just one single curve. I guess that´s from zero percent fat and postproduction.

Attached Images
# 125 24-02-2006 , 12:12 PM
Thank you guys,

yeah Falott I agreeuser added image , which brings me to my earlier point of difference in every human being be them a supermodel or model or normal. The reference that youve given me here are obviously correct but lets face it, they are bloody hideous except the familiar good looking girl from Fineart.sk. Please put some knickers on Ladies!! LOL

There has to be a fine balance of all these things to accomodate ones own tastes otherwise you could go round in circles all day trying to second guess the audience. As I said Im not done tweaking yet either as Im not overly happy with it just yet, but I need the form to be pretty much spot on to then put clothing on her, then all the curves wont be seen!! Damn!!

Will post again later

Jay

# 126 24-02-2006 , 12:19 PM
Subscriber
I can see what you mean, shows how much attention I pay to my girlfriend.

I do plan on modelling a woman sometime in the future so this is all very interesting.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 127 24-02-2006 , 12:47 PM
sorry, didn´t mean to be offensive. I censored the girls.

they are bloody hideous

they´re all from 3d.sk - and I don´t think they are so damn ugly. they are just average. my intention was not to make you model gals as ugly as possible but to pinpoint this little detail on the hip which I think makes a huge but same time very subtle difference and is lightly overseen.

besides all I find your model is pretty cool!

cheers!

# 128 24-02-2006 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
I don't find them that bad.

user added image Now there even better user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 129 24-02-2006 , 01:55 PM
I wasnt offended LOL

I was having a kebab for lunch and read this...LOL

Cheers Guys
Jay

# 130 24-02-2006 , 01:59 PM
hehe!

Mahlzeit!

# 131 24-02-2006 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
Dude thats some info.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 132 24-02-2006 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber
hahah!

# 133 24-02-2006 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
if I remember my old drawing lessons, the eye should be slightly shaded with pure white used as a pin prick highlight to show which direction she is looking; having said that I'd kill for your skills.

Check out (you have already I know) peoples eyes and you will always see a pin prick high light which shows where they are looking, where the light is coming from.. Also there is reflected light in the gap between the tear duck and the nose, look for it around that area, also more reflected light at the the bottom corners of the mouth.
Sorry, you are sure to know this anyway.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 134 24-02-2006 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
from embarrassed, sorry mate, I didn't realise there were so many pages, I just saw the first 15 postings and thought that was it.., I'd love to see the finished model.

obviously you already know about highlight and reflected light, shadow and half shadow.., incredible work and some great critique in this thread. Almost a tut in itself.user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 135 25-02-2006 , 09:42 AM
mirek03

no probs dude,user added image its a big thread, LOL I've taken the eyes out for now anyway while I attach the head, and yeah I know a little bit about character modeling to get by, (bows humbly to the greats of 3d)

Back later with updates
Jay