Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-09-2007 , 11:30 AM

Problems while bridging

Hi all!

I'm following one of the tutorials that come with Maya (the helmet).
Actually I have to bridge 2 figures (the helmet with the jaw protection) but every time I try to do that the two parts don't bridge as they are supposed to do:
the edge at the bottom of one piece joins the edge on the top of the other generating a cross of poligons.
I've tried to bridge just one edge, but maya flips the right side with the left side... I don't really know where I'm wrong.
Can anybody help me, please?
Thanks in advance.

# 2 23-09-2007 , 12:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Your normals are reversed on one piece of the geometry.
I'm not sure what version of Maya you are using so If you are using Maya 8 or later then go to Display at the top of the UI and in the Polygons submenu set click on face normal, this will display a green line in the center of the faces telling you which way the normals are facing.You want the normals to be facing the same way as each other which should be out from the geometry, look for the faces you think are the reversed from the majority and select those faces (to turn the normals back off just click on face normals again).Now go to Normals at the top of the UI and click on reverse,you should now be able to perform your bridge.
In earlier versions of Maya the path to display normals is Display / polygon components /normals and the command to reverse the normals could be found under Edit Polygons/Normals.
Some users might just select all of the geometry and go to Normals and click on set to face which can work but doesn't always.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 23-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.
# 3 23-09-2007 , 01:08 PM
Thanks for the hints!

Now I'm working and I can't access Maya (8.5) but I'll try tonight!

It's curious that the fact of normals is not mentioned in the tutorial... or I'm just drunk and I didn't see it...
I want to check again the tute in order to see if there's a procedure that I didn't follow...

Anyway this 3d world looks very beautiful... just very wide, but very very interesting.
I hope to reach a good level soon!!

Cheers

# 4 23-09-2007 , 01:12 PM
Lifetime Member
normals can get reversed simply by rotating a polygon and combining it with another that has not been rotated.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 23-09-2007 , 01:13 PM
Sometimes tutorials are not perfect in everyway, Ive seen and done afew where when something goes wrong you have to figure it out yourself, all in the fun of learning!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 23-09-2007 , 02:43 PM
Yeah, sometimes tutorials don't explain something very easy that prevent 'students' from going on the tutes...
Thankfully there's this forum! user added image

Anyway, I don't really know how the normals are inverted cause I've just built the helmet starting from a cube (and I didn't rotate nothing in it), the jaw protection has been made by a poligon that I've extruded with less than 90 degrees of rotation...
But I had some problems on doing it, so it's possible that I did something wrong (that I surely did), but I still wonder how... I just can't wait to check these normals... I must investigate user added image

user added image

Last edited by ZioRiP; 23-09-2007 at 02:46 PM.
# 7 23-09-2007 , 08:39 PM

Originally posted by jsprogg
normals can get reversed simply by rotating a polygon and combining it with another that has not been rotated.

Hey jsprogg, you were absolutely right!!
Normals were just inverted... I don't know the reason why, but that tutorial has an error... anyway, thank you indeed for the help!!
Here's the screenshoot of the bridged elements!!

CHEERS!

user added image