Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-08-2006 , 06:59 AM

Shader glow question?

I have attached an image of some objects that I am trying to get to glow diffrent colors. I made the objects and assigned Lambert shaders to them. Then enabled the glow settings for the Lambert shaders. My problem is that I got them to have a glowing effect but, they do not emit light. The image that I attached to this post shows a dark scene and glowing objects but, they aren't emitting light. They are just giving off a glow that produces no light. Is there a way to make the Lambert shaders or something else on the models give a glow that also produces light?

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-08-2006 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber
If you want to make them emmit light you need to render them in Mental Ray with Final Gather turned on. Then you need to edit the ambience (Might be incandecence) Aswell as the glow option and it should emit light.

Hope this helped user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 3 16-08-2006 , 10:10 AM
The objects are rendered in Mental Ray. I tryed diffrent combinations with the incandecence and ambience settings like you said but, it still doesn't give off light. I have posted another render of the objects. The render settings are Mental Ray, FG Rays 1024, incandecens and ambience settings up full. The objects glow really bright when the ambience and incandecene setting on full but, it still casts no light on the plane surface below. Its like the objects are glowing but, not giving off any light.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 17-08-2006 , 02:39 PM
Thats strange, i thought that the glows always gave off light in mental ray.

You could always make a seperate light and light link it so that it only effects the background objects. But if you changed the glow attributes you would have to animate the light seperately.

hope that helps
good luck
user added image