Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-04-2015 , 06:16 AM

[Maya 2015] Smoothing workflow

[Maya 2015] Smoothing workflow

Hello everybody,

concerning smoothing process, I'd like to ask something about:

1- Do you suggest to make Smoothing before or after UV mapping?

2 - I notice that, if you hit 1 and than smooth your mesh is different to hit 3 and than smooth it. I mean, 3 could be the preview of a mesh smoothed, but i don't know if I have to hit 3 (preview) and than smooth mesh, or if I have to remain in 1 and than sooth mesh. In facts, result are different... make smooth AFTER hitting 3 is seem to be better!

Many thanks for a reply!user added image

# 2 29-04-2015 , 12:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
The smooth mesh preview is a temporary state, you can toggle between 1 and 3. Regardless of whether you have 1 or 3, if you mesh > smooth, you will get a smoothed mesh. If you have smooth mesh preview also on, then you will have a smoothed version of your smoothed mesh, so it will look smoother. The word smooth has now lost all meaning.
I think most people UV before smoothing, but not 100% sure on that.

# 3 29-04-2015 , 01:05 PM
Ah, okay, si we shoul switch to 1 BEFORE smoothing, to avoid a "double" smoothing, or better, to avoid to increase unnecessarily polygons... if I have rightly understand.
About UV, I'm reading it should be the last step of modelling workflow, but it's not rigid rule... I remember ti saw a tut where tutor smoothed model during UV process...

Okay stwret, many thanks for your reply!