Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-02-2004 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber

Weird happenings...

Just now I tried switching my full view from one view panel to another and the view panel would come up empty. No grid, object, view panel name, nothing.

When I switched to the four-panel view, I could see everything fine in all of the viewpanels. But, the moment I moved the cursor to another view panel and hit the Spacebar I would get a viewpanel with no name, grid or object.

What's happening here?

user added image

# 2 09-02-2004 , 03:17 AM
Video card driver... happend to me and i switched it.. works fine now.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 09-02-2004 , 03:41 AM
# 4 09-02-2004 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
This is crazy. Why is this happening all of a sudden? It's been working fine for weeks.

I have to have Outliner open all the time and keep selecting objects in it to work. When I open the UV Texture Editor the mesh disappears unless I click exactly on the mesh.

I looked into Softquadro, but you have to have three apps installed (Softquadro, Rivatuner, and Detonator) before getting anywhere near complete. And even then, the instructions are all written in geekspeak (no offense to geeks).

Is there anything else I can do? Why has Maya worked fine all this time and then suddenly done this?

# 5 09-02-2004 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
In the meantime, I've resorted to sticking to the Outliner/Persp view. Between that and the four-panel view I don't experience the "gray screen".

But, I must say this is a strange occurance to have occured after I've been using Maya for a few weeks without a hitch or crash. I'm not exactly thrilled about tricking my computer with Softquadro (no cracked apps on my comp) or spending hundreds for another graphics card. I'd like to, of course, get the nVidia Quadro 4 980 XL whatcha-ma-callit.

# 6 09-02-2004 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
Are you using more than one monitor?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 7 09-02-2004 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber
Nope. For the heck of it, I just reinstalled Maya and nothing changed. Then again, it still had all the shelf icons I created so I guess I didn't completely uninstall it.

Either way I don't understand this sudden shift in performance. I've never seen anything like this before with any other program.

# 8 09-02-2004 , 02:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
most likely scenario I've managed to determine is a driver issue, as my computer at work started doing it after getting latest drivers, while my computer at home doesn't do it and I've not updated that one.

# 9 09-02-2004 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
You know what, Mike? I think you hit the nail on the head. I did just recently update the driver.

How can go back to the previous driver version? Until I can afford a better card, I'd rather get Maya working normally again.

Thanks user added image

# 10 09-02-2004 , 03:40 PM
it's not the card it's the NVidia driver. Loads of people have had corruption in the viewports, gray viewports etc (Myself included) best plan is to rollback to a set of drivers that you know work. Just uninstall your current ones and then install the old one. Then bombard NVidia with emails telling them to sort it out!

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 09-02-2004 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
I think I'm going to revert back to the earlier driver as well. Because I also experience problems in the UV Texture Editor as well.

# 12 12-02-2004 , 08:43 PM
I get this all the time (NVIDIA) of course..my advice is the Maya output window. I leave this up when Maya starts. When I switch viewports it has all the tool bars and channels but the image is grey. I just click the ouput box to bring that up and the image pops back onto the screen. I know I need to upgrade my card so for now, I just do this. It works every time.

# 13 12-02-2004 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
mttjss,
Another one I do is tap the up and down arrows and immediately I get back everything.

What's weird is that the one viewport that always appears when maximized is the TOP. I can maximize the other viewports and get gray, but the TOP view always shows up ok. What's that about? user added image