Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-09-2002 , 09:09 AM

Slooooooow system

Hi,

I just woke up from the siesta I was having while waiting for my system to render a scene. Frankly, I dont understand why does it take that long.
My system is :
AMD 1GB processor on an ASUS K7 RAID board with 1 GB of RAM and WIN2K.
Is there anything I can do to speed up things a little?, the scene is not that big.
Should I upgrade to . . . a Silicon?

Thanx in advance

# 2 15-09-2002 , 05:20 PM
Need some more info on what exactly you are rendering.....how detailed it is....what file output etc.....I had an old 800Mhz with 256MB RAM etc and it took 5 1/2 hours to render out a 12 sec movie user added image

# 3 15-09-2002 , 05:35 PM
Kevin
Its not your system... renders do take a long time, sometimes I have had 3 day renders!!

its not un-common.

but if you want to get better results..next time you upgrade go for a dual m/b

I have one and my render times have halved

and welcome to sm charales

# 4 16-09-2002 , 06:20 PM

Slooooooow system

Hi,

Thanks a lot for replying, I thought I was the only one who waited forever to see some results.

I think I will upgrade to a dual Athlon.

Thanks again.

# 5 29-09-2002 , 08:00 AM
turpsicon
On the subject of slow shit, is there anyway to speed up your display after using alot of PaintFX? Maya crawls to a halt almost after I make a field of grass say for instance.

# 6 29-09-2002 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
If you're in the "Paint Effects" panel, you can turn off redrawing of the paint effects under the "Stroke Refresh" drop down menu - set it to off (its probably on wireframe at the mo). The paint effects still slows Maya down a lot, but you won't have to wait for it to redraw in full every time you do anything. If you want to look at it properly again, click on the "Redraw Paint Effects" button at the top of the Paint Effects panel - it looks like two anti-clockwise red arrows.

You could also hide the paint effects parts. Select them in the "Outliner" (Window --> Outliner), then hide them (Display --> Hide --> Hide Selection). This is probably the best way if you are working on other things in the model and don't need to see the paint effects. To display them again, select them in the Outliner as before, then (Display --> Show --> Show Selection).

Pete.

Last edited by badbunny; 29-09-2002 at 12:28 PM.
# 7 29-09-2002 , 04:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
You've also got your display percentage, default is 20%, I believe. If you have a ton going on, even 20% can be a lot.

# 8 29-09-2002 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
Is that the (Display --> Stroke Display Quality --> ......) setting or something else ?