Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 22-10-2012 , 09:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Okay....

First of all, many thanks to Rick (CTBram) for his time and effort in explaining what, how, who when and why.

And as he has already said at the end of the day what you have to remember that Maya isnt gonna do exactly what Max does like Zbrush and Mudbox dont do all the same things, otherwise what the point.

Maya's own bevel and the bevel plus scripts are okay but just dont have the flexibilty of say one thats been written with all the bells and whistles in Max, and therefore the editing of such things isnt gonna happen over night, especially when they really havent had a re-write since version 2.0 back in the day. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and open your model in another software to get the job done thats needed.

I had this with junior modellers in Ireland when I supervised the model build on Lockout. it was Max does this and MAx does that...so my answer would always be, go get a job that uses Max and quit your whining LOL. It soon made them learn how to do stuff without relying on written plugins. Something I suggest that should be done here.

Maya's true flexibilty lies in the API, probably the strongest out there to customise, thats its strength, its abilty to build upon the base product and give you something stronger than anything Max et al has to offer. If you can find someone to write you a plugin for maya...you're laughing....

Jay

# 32 25-10-2012 , 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I too am looking for equal footing with 3DS Max bevel options in Maya. It just doesn't have it. I'm talking about complex bevel profiles, and please don't cop out and tell me to hand do it, or extrude, or whatever you people that have been using Maya, and no other software for years have been doing. Max can bevel edges with a separate, and complex profile as it's input. Anyone need any proof of what I'm asking it's here https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/particle_shadows/. Google sketchup can do it after a fashion as well. Nurbs isn't really a viable solution for a model with holes in it. I was wonder if anyone could actually answer the question. It seems the answer is "no" Maya doesn't have this seemingly simple useability. How that's possible I will never know.

P.S. I shouldn't have to bring a model into Zaxwerks Proanimator to get this done, but I suppose I'll have to for now.

How is talking about tools for beveling off topic here and why is it a "cop out" to suggest different Maya workflows? I assume you're frustrated and you don't like the answer but the attitude isn't necessary.

- Genny
# 33 26-10-2012 , 02:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Bite me!!!! what did I do...gaaawwwwd. Yeh do what I bloody do....use 10 friggin programs if you have to and get the job done, simple as that. The time you spend sitting around waiting for a solution you can come up with workarounds and just get it done. I use Surveying software all day to set stuff out, and I have 3 programs that do different things, so if one doesnt work, export, fix, import, apply...too easy.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 34 26-10-2012 , 09:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yup exactly!!

The same can be said of retopologising geo, I certainly would not use make live in maya nor zbrush retopo stuff, just use 3d coat!!!

Jay

# 35 29-10-2012 , 01:04 PM

Thanks.

I'm still disappointed, but to the mods, and TDs; thank you for your input. It's just moderately frustrating knowing that something I've been doing by hand has a "cookie cutter" with "shapes" I never even thought about using. I understand that I'm saying a few things without actually saying them, but foremost is that I am not well enough educated, and am always looking for an easier way. My major issue was not realizing that the OP wasn't asking for what I was asking for even though the exact wording was used. Seeing all the stuff crush my hopes...well, that. Jay, gect - Thank you. Ctbram I understand.

bullet1968 first: Huh? Second: /me sighs. I get it. I'm already using blender, maya, sketchup, proanimator, zbrush, sweethome3D, make human, keyshot, topogun, and a few others, not to mention the plugins for many of those. I kept it in the 3d realm. I suppose I should have manned up and admitted that I was a little peeved, and embarrassed when I saw 3DS max do something like that like it was just waking up and using the bathroom, when Maya has to be in it's second year of graduate school maintaining honors marks, and getting hella lucky to get that done.

That makes 4 reasons I should learn max. When it gets to 7 or so I'll give it a try.

Thank you guys for not insulting me. I know it would have been easy. user added image

# 36 29-10-2012 , 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still disappointed, but to the mods, and TDs; thank you for your input. It's just moderately frustrating knowing that something I've been doing by hand has a "cookie cutter" with "shapes" I never even thought about using. I understand that I'm saying a few things without actually saying them, but foremost is that I am not well enough educated, and am always looking for an easier way. My major issue was not realizing that the OP wasn't asking for what I was asking for even though the exact wording was used. Seeing all the stuff crush my hopes...well, that. Jay, gect - Thank you. Ctbram I understand.

bullet1968 first: Huh? Second: /me sighs. I get it. I'm already using blender, maya, sketchup, proanimator, zbrush, sweethome3D, make human, keyshot, topogun, and a few others, not to mention the plugins for many of those. I kept it in the 3d realm. I suppose I should have manned up and admitted that I was a little peeved, and embarrassed when I saw 3DS max do something like that like it was just waking up and using the bathroom, when Maya has to be in it's second year of graduate school maintaining honors marks, and getting hella lucky to get that done.

That makes 4 reasons I should learn max. When it gets to 7 or so I'll give it a try.

Thank you guys for not insulting me. I know it would have been easy. user added image

Maya's modeling tools has been a point of contention on various boards for some time now so someone getting annoyed with it and venting isn't that uncommon. The only issue I had with your comment was that it seemed you were lashing out at the people who were helping (and the folks around here are indeed very helpful). No worries, so.... yeah, those Maya bevels huh? user added image

- Genny
# 37 30-10-2012 , 12:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Thats ok babyg, we all get frustrated. 1: Jay said bite the bullet (me) LOL. 2: Like I said mate, some programs are better than others in certain areas and vice versa. Try using 2 different Survey instruments, with 2 different software packs and they are meant to talk to each other user added image and they DONT LOL. Its usually 0.630 in the morn when this happens or in midday in 45°c heat and you have $10 000 per hour of men and machine waiting to build stuff LOL and NOTHING is working.

Keep on with it and remember there is ALWAYS a work around. I have found, hence my first reply, waiting for some bloke to tell me how to fix the thing, I have done it anyway user added image.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 38 31-10-2012 , 02:30 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.