Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-10-2012 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber

another firebird attempt..

Here's another go at a 70 firebird. I'm sure I have way to many edges but using poly's it was the only way I could get the shape I needed. I'm on the rear quarter panel and I'm trying to avoid the same issue I have on the front fender, the sharp corners on/in the wheel well. I've softened edges a few times and have tried a loop on either side of the singles and I still get the sharpness. I've bumped verts up, spread edges, etc, any ideas? The tires and rims I take no credit for. I downloaded them from turbosquid and he/she did an awesome job on them. Also the door won't mirror correctly. Do I need to pull some edges out more so it will duplicate? I'm sure I'll get one big face I can delete as well.. Scrap it and start again? Feel free to tell me it looks like crap..lol, I won't be offeneded..

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by metalartguy74; 14-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.
# 2 16-10-2012 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
Heres a render shot of it. The wheel wells look horrible..

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 16-10-2012 , 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
The lines on it are pretty rigid, like it was modeled in a side view only. I remember Acid was doing some work on a car somewhat recently in the wip section, you could take a look at that. The texture on your backdrop is very low resolution, too low for this shot. And I can't really make out what's going on with the lights, they're not placed very practically(or casting shadows). But I wouldn't worry about any of that til the car modeling is done, it's tempting but you might be shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.

- Genny
# 4 16-10-2012 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber

The lines on it are pretty rigid, like it was modeled in a side view only. I remember Acid was doing some work on a car somewhat recently in the wip section, you could take a look at that. The texture on your backdrop is very low resolution, too low for this shot. And I can't really make out what's going on with the lights, they're not placed very practically(or casting shadows). But I wouldn't worry about any of that til the car modeling is done, it's tempting but you might be shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.

Very observant of you. I only have a side image of the car. I can't find a blueprint of an earlier model. I can find a 1979 all day but I want an early 70's model. So yes, most of it was done is the "side" view. One of these days I'll post a decent model..lol. Next to making most parts out of nurbs how do I stop getting such rigid lines? Thanks for the input by the way.

# 5 17-10-2012 , 06:47 AM
The thin red line
Try getting any reference shots of the car as Genny said its going to look flat if you dont, the wheel arch I would model like this using a boolean cylinder then just a case of cleaning up the mesh but do the curverture of the car first...............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 17-10-2012 , 08:59 AM
Lifetime Member
Is this what you were looking for. Sorry if its the wrong car but I am an Aussie and know diddly squat about American muscle cars. I dont do cars but I do a lot of engineering stuff, from what I see you have way too many edge loops mate. As you are still constructing I would halve them...but thats up to you. Go over to Acids WIPS and have a look as has been suggested, the guy knows his stuff.

You have uncompleted sections which are heavy on geo, try to avoid this, dont worry I made the same errors LOL. Now you have some images to import into Maya it will be a hell of a lot easier. Trying to model with just 1 view is bloody hard. Get plenty of photos from Google as image refs are only good to a certain point.

Good luck with it

cheers bullet

https://www.the-blueprints.com/module...4319-10008.jpg

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 17-10-2012 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys! Thank you Bullet, yes that is the car I'm looking for. I looked on blueprints.com high and low for that but couldn't find it, as well as google and yahoo image searches. I'm going to start another, sometime today when I get time. I'll try the boolean for the arches. I haven't used one before so it will either be a total disaster or hopefully a better result..lol. Thanks again..

# 8 17-10-2012 , 04:32 PM
The thin red line
Had a closer look at your model if you take out the egdes I have indecated it should smooth out the arch, putting edges together like this will make that area tighter..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 19-10-2012 , 04:17 AM
Subscriber

round three..

Here's a bit less geo.. Still not there yet. Thanks again bullet for the image, I apprecoate it. Still have to run a clean up and straighten some things, espicaly on the back end. The roof is being a pain. The axel in the back isnt scaled right yet either and the front one isnt there either..lol. Lines aren't perfect but getting there. I need to learn more on rendering so I get a much cleaner image. I know it's not rendered in the snip, just saying in general.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 19-10-2012 , 04:57 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 19-10-2012 , 08:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Here mate have a look at mine. I dont do cars but you can see I have a good general shape already and bugger all polys. I apologise for the crappy refs! sorry mate I didnt realise they had parallax that bad....anyhoo. Dont worry about rendering, use my scene and delete my car after you take a pic. I have setup both Mental ray and Vector...play and have fun.

As for the renders of your WIPS in colour etc...I used to do that all the time as it was fun! BUT a very wise woman berated me for this and taught me the ways of the WIP. Keep it as I have it in my scene, plain old grey for now. Save out as PNG and you can then whack a black backdrop, though I think you can do this in the environment. This is just a roughy to help you along mate.

Cheers Ant

Attached Files
File Type: zip bullet_firebird.zip (17.4 KB, 249 views)

bullet1968

# 12 19-10-2012 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber

Here mate have a look at mine. I dont do cars but you can see I have a good general shape already and bugger all polys. I apologise for the crappy refs! sorry mate I didnt realise they had parallax that bad....anyhoo. Dont worry about rendering, use my scene and delete my car after you take a pic. I have setup both Mental ray and Vector...play and have fun.

As for the renders of your WIPS in colour etc...I used to do that all the time as it was fun! BUT a very wise woman berated me for this and taught me the ways of the WIP. Keep it as I have it in my scene, plain old grey for now. Save out as PNG and you can then whack a black backdrop, though I think you can do this in the environment. This is just a roughy to help you along mate.

Cheers Ant

Thanks bullet. What's wrong with the one I'm working on..lol? Less geo and it's sort of true to form..

# 13 19-10-2012 , 02:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanks bullet. What's wrong with the one I'm working on..lol? Less geo and it's sort of true to form..

I know the doors and quarter seam is messed up a bit..The entire thing is messed up a bit, it's not done yet..

# 14 19-10-2012 , 06:04 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL you havent posted a wire with the red render. Just trying to help mate...I know what a struggle it can be sometimes. I have learnt a very valuable lesson from Jay, daverave, stwert...oh look the list is endless about simple geo for form...then splitting it up. Youre cool man...LOL send me your model and I will look at yours if you want.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 19-10-2012 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber

LOL you havent posted a wire with the red render. Just trying to help mate...I know what a struggle it can be sometimes. I have learnt a very valuable lesson from Jay, daverave, stwert...oh look the list is endless about simple geo for form...then splitting it up. Youre cool man...LOL send me your model and I will look at yours if you want.

Cheers bullet

Lol, wasn't being mean, sorry if it came across like that. Here's a wireframe shot..lol.. Think I might get the hunk of poop I have from turbo squidd and put it right on top og the roof..lol.

Attached Thumbnails