Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 04-03-2006 , 05:07 PM
if yer wonting to know how to connect those just middle mouse button drag em over the one u wonna connect it to and select the way u wont it to connect e.g. through a ambient colour etc.

# 17 04-03-2006 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
i know how to connect them and all that, but i wanted to know what each map was connected using ie sepcular. and in the tutorial it doesnt say anything about multiple divide, but he has a node in there

First year 3D Grad
# 18 05-03-2006 , 12:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
TD

Dude are you using references for any of this? Its just the anatomy of it seems a little out. Take your time on models like this, dont rush ahead just to get it completed and miss the bigger picture. Modeling humans is HARD. Do it in stages and get some crit even if you have to beg for it. You say you want to get it to look like a girl, thats good as at least ou know that it doesn't. But that begs the question of why didnt you stop to correct it before proceeding, because now you have to go back and do that bit again, which, in my honest opinion is an example of bad work flow (dont take it personally) but a bit of thought and careful planning can work wonders, and will save you hours of frustration. If I seen this earlier I would have stepped in then, I apologies for not looking around the forum hard enough.

If you are looking for eyes to model, go to www.antropus.com he has a series of tutes there which are pretty damn good, and maybe alot easier for you to dig. I looked up the one you mentioned here, jesus, its good but not for the for you I dont think, multiply divide nodes arent what you need right now, something more basic, not to hard ya know. The simplest ways are ALWAYS the best, so trust me on this, go to antropus's site...and if not I'll ask David if I can do an eye tute at some point.

I'll be watching :bandit:

Cheers
Jay

# 19 05-03-2006 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
ok, no one has said much crit here but i will.
the breast area doesnt look right inbetween theres some huge crease kinda thing.
the hands needs more work there flat and maybe the fingers r too long. the bum seems too small and the crease in the backs not right either. the ear needs lots more work. they look rushed.
and finally i really think ure modeling of the vagina is very Dis tasteful.

Dont take this the wrong way im here to help user added image
The armpits need adressing also, the gap into the pit seems too low.

Last edited by magicsy; 05-03-2006 at 01:25 PM.
# 20 05-03-2006 , 01:39 PM
yo dude i like the body i think thats lookin ok, i dunno about the scale of things but it looks ok, the back though is very square by the shoulder plates at the top, and the head doesn't look too good, it needs a lot more work into the head, i think jay wos onto a winner though what u should do is take a step back, pick a bit u really wonna get stuck into (id try the head) and concentrate on that forget about the body, just do the head for now.
What u'll find with maya is that if u delve into a big task such as a whole body with not much past work you will belearning so much all the time that u'll be finding better ways to do things all the time. And i rekon by half way through modeling you'll be thinking o damn i wish i'd had done that bit differently it would have made what i have to do now a lot easier. Try small chunks that you can do over again if you think of a better way to do em.
I meants only a suggestion and i mean i think the body looks ok but i'd like to see one bit thats a bit more manageable done to perfection.

# 21 05-03-2006 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
it might looked rushed but ive spent the last 4 months on this model

i spent a lot of time on the head, doing to reference i had bad references, and didnt get anywhere, so i changed my references, and changed the model and repeated a billion times until i was exhausted.

the body, i dont have a real good reference for, but i have somewhat of a reference.
the hand needs to be finished, but the fingers are where i want them to be, the hand was done with a reference.

the boobs could use a bit of work and same with the but, the ears have been worked since these pics, and i think the face is just lacking hair etc to look like a girl.

i dunno how the vagina is dis tasteful? what are you talking about?

First year 3D Grad
# 22 05-03-2006 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
i just find it distasteful, perhaps less would be more.

# 23 05-03-2006 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
i cant figure out how to get the face accurate, it looks good to me in every vew over the reference, but as a whole its way off

Attached Thumbnails

First year 3D Grad
# 24 05-03-2006 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
here is the hand, what else do i need for the hand other than a wider thumbnail?

Attached Thumbnails

First year 3D Grad
# 25 05-03-2006 , 07:08 PM
The question of genitalia....

Basically is she gonna get clothing? if yes why bother? I find it weird people do this and stick clothing on the figure, its a waste of time generally, if you look at my thread she has the forms of breasts and genitalia but shes going to be clothed so Im not even going to go there with anything other than what you see. They are merely guides for how the clothing will be shaped.

Reference is always hard to find, especially when you have something particular in mind. Is this the girl from 'flying daggers'?

Anyway I can point you here for damn good reference (thats free) other wise go to Fineart.sk and pay for some bloody cool stuff.

https://www.pierluigisurace.it/imagerie/index2.htm

Down the left are icons of galleries, most of its Italian but there are English titles there, and theres plenty and I mean plenty of Asian women references there to view and download. Have fun

Also as far as referances are concerned, in my own opinion, dont take it as a sure thing as lens settings come into play, different lighting can cause shadows etc so be aware of these things, find balanced images. Granted its correct as its a photo, but I think an understanding of anatomy and proportion is also very important here too and not just the image.

Lastly a tip: Bring the image plane further forward to avoid seeing the back of the head as it can throw you off a bit, if not turn on your back face culling.

Cheers
Jay

# 26 05-03-2006 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
here is the bottom of the hand

and no, im not making clothes for this one

and the vigina isnt finished, i just put a gap there to have and idea of what it should look like when its done and to see how far up i want it to run.

Attached Thumbnails

First year 3D Grad
# 27 05-03-2006 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
i have 70 different wallpaper sized references of the girl im making the head after (zhang-ziyi), so references are not a shortage, its just i need to learn how to work with references that are not dead on profile pictures

First year 3D Grad
# 28 05-03-2006 , 07:44 PM
Yeah I understand, its in these situations where an understanding of the anatomy is really needed to kick it up a notch. Its also about observation as an artist, looking at those references, scrutinise them until, well they are embeded in your mind.

Take a step back if you have to and do some drawing of her to define areas that are causing you probs then apply them in 3d.
I can only give you so much advice and then I may as well do it for you user added image

Cheers
Jay

# 29 05-03-2006 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Turbo Dan
i have 70 different wallpaper sized references of the girl im making the head after (zhang-ziyi), so references are not a shortage, its just i need to learn how to work with references that are not dead on profile pictures

dont model pixel for pixel.

use the ref just for what they are; "refs"

sculpt the face in the pesrp view, use the orthographic views as general guides for proportions and where to place perticular details the real life model has.

to make sure the model is accurate, dont compare the profiles of the model to yours, compare 3/4 persp views if you have any of the model instead.

# 30 05-03-2006 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
dont model pixel for pixel.

use the ref just for what they are; "refs"

sculpt the face in the pesrp view, use the orthographic views as general guides for proportions and where to place perticular details the real life model has.

to make sure the model is accurate, dont compare the profiles of the model to yours, compare 3/4 persp views if you have any of the model instead.

im starting to realize that this is the way to go.
but its taking me a long time to do this, i need a lot more practice, and im not good at anatomy at all, its my weakest point.

First year 3D Grad