Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-02-2005 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber

Help, newbie

Hi, I'm new to Maya and am very keen on learning it to the extents. I have bought the Learning Edition Suite, plus several other books/ DVDs to aide my learning.

The problem I have is the books seem to be already one step ahead of me user added image I am struggling very much so to follow the guides and tutorials (Go on laugh) Are there any tutorials available written for very simple folk like me as I really want to master this program but am becoming increasingly tired at spending hours to get no-where.

Also, Does anyone know of anywhere that offers some sort of training in the North of England?

Thanks all

Mike

# 2 23-02-2005 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
HI,Heres something easy to use.The Learning Maya Beginners Guide DVD ,plus on all the books run thru all the movies over and over if you need too.GO step by step.Dont get to far that you get confused ,with this program that can happen.Also find sites like this and do all the tutorials ,I do that all the time.Good LucK. Ralph

# 3 23-02-2005 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
Don't expect to learn it overnight... Learning a 3D application, not just Maya, can and probably will be difficult. But the rewards are worth the time and pain. Find tutorials that deal with the interface first so that you can easily navigate through the program, then start with modeling. Use the help files if you run across a term you don't understand.

This sight and others like it offer great video and web based tutorials. Do a web search for "Maya tutorials" and you find a whole host of them out there. Find some that match your learning style.

Above all, be persistent. I am learning mayaso that I can add 3D to my resume when I retire. I have two years until I retire, so I'm allowing myself some time to get a good familar with it. I average around 3 hours a day on Maya.

Last bit of advice, don't be afraid to fail. Failure is not an end, just something to get around and learn from.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 23-02-2005 , 08:46 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the replies.

Like I previously mentioned, I do have the PLE DVD/Book set, plus several other 'beginner' references.

But I tend to find the structure of the tutorials is a bit misleading, as for example, last night I attempted to model a male's torso using the template supplied on the CD. Yet following the instructions on how to import the said template via the book was very confusing, as I was supposed to toggle between the hypergraph window and the attributes box which took me half hour to figure out as it was not stated to do so user added image

I have come across similar instances to this which completely throw me off course.

One main aspect which I am stuggling with is the simple moving the 'box' around and manipulating to the shape of the torso, I end up with something that looks like an extra out of one of the Alien movies!

Thanks anyway for the tips guys

Ps If you do happen to come across some seriously easy/basic modelling tutorials to get me started it would be greatly appreciated

Mike

# 5 23-02-2005 , 08:50 AM
they sell a load of downloadable videos and DVDs on this site for modelling user added image

I know exactly what you mean, when i was learning the most frustrating thing was the vague commands in some tutorials.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 6 23-02-2005 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
This tutorial i free, very easy to follow and gives you a good taste of whats on this site. As long as you take it slowly you should be fine with it.

click here

Last edited by ckyuk; 23-02-2005 at 09:51 AM.
# 7 23-02-2005 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at that link tonight when I finish work.

Could I ask a quick cheeky question, seeing as you guys are from the UK what are the prospects of me becoming 'employable' from using this software, obviously I'm thinking towards the future.

Ie. What roles/ jobs would I be looking at.

How long would you estimate it would take me to become reasonably proficient in Maya, say average user, understanding, and progression rate. Enough so that I could create something of my own from scratch with little/ no reference needed from other tutorials.

I currently work as a 3D Structural Design Engineer

ALSO... (Sorry for the long post)

Apparantly there is a one day Maya course situated in London on the final saturday of every month aimed at beginners, would you recommend this? As I know it will be beneficial but am from up the North West England and would be a very long trip.

All comments greatly received as I am dying to break into Maya.

# 8 23-02-2005 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
Another way of getting your ref.picture in the side view is this way..
1 Go in side view ortho.
2.Select View option,scroll down to image plane =import image.
3.have your ref pic in the source images folder.
4.go thru your folders till you find the source images folder for your project
5.Your ref pic.should come up now in the side view ortho
press 6 on your keyboard if you dont see it.

# 9 23-02-2005 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Rockin, can someone tell me where to find extra ?codecs? for win media player as it will not play ANY of the movies on the DVD's I have.

# 10 23-02-2005 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
If your really into learning maya sure the class cant hurt ,but just make sure there not telling you there gonna teach you maya in a day...cause that will never happen.See what its about cause if you have the books and tutorials ,that will help .Of course learning from someone helps,thats what i`m doing right now.I go thru the books and then i see the difference in how my teacher does it.Its just comes down to different ways to the same end.How long will it take for you to get proficient in maya is up to you but i always see 2-3 years experience with it on job postings????so good luck .If i come across anything else i will post it here.Ralph

# 11 23-02-2005 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber
now thats something i have no clue on how to help you with.Is the dvd a different format???call maya helpline .Good luck on that.Ralph

# 12 23-02-2005 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
Yeah its in a strange format, not the usual *.mpeg, avi etc I can't think of the top of my head what it is, but just know media player doesn't recognise the data user added image

Thanks anyway

# 13 23-02-2005 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber
If it's a different file type, search the web for the extension and you should be able to find a download for the codec. Other common extensions:
.divx
.vcd
.mov

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."