Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-06-2011 , 10:36 AM
The Nurb Herd

My Showreel 2011

I finally made my first showreel. Any comments? I've never done any editing before.
Next up sort out my website.

Showreel 2011 on Vimeo

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by honestdom; 21-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
# 2 21-06-2011 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
Can't be bad for a first showreel can it...

If I had to make a crit I would say it might have been good to seperate some of your contributions to the pieces..., i.e...maybe some of the lighting tests/passes on the panda, or the razor model....on their own and then in the finished shots....but hey....you're the pro.....

Edit:Nice touch at the end with the panda stacking it.

Edit2: not looking for a new job are you?

Last edited by ben hobden; 21-06-2011 at 02:44 PM.
# 3 21-06-2011 , 04:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looks great, simple and straightforward. I'd agree with ben though, maybe do a few render pass wipes or something. And for the matchmove stuff, with and without the CG element(s) maybe?

# 4 21-06-2011 , 05:42 PM
The Nurb Herd
Hey thanks guys. Glad you like it.

With regards to the comments. Don't you think doing breakdowns would take a long time? i kinda like the length at 1:30ish. There are many people who work on these shots and i'm not involved in every process. So doing a breakdown would seem a bit strange as i would have to miss out lots of stages. Like saying (1,2,3,5,10 ta da!)
The matchmove thing is a good idea and i would suggest people do that, but i don't want to work as a matchmover so not bothered if people think i'm crap at it. user added image

I'm not looking for another job, just wanted to have a reel for a while now... why do people keep asking that? user added image

# 5 21-06-2011 , 07:14 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Great quality of work high profile as well ( so if you were looking for another job at least you would stick out ), the length is more than fine, I have a feeling that 30 seconds should be enough to grab peoples attention, if you need more than that I think most recruiters have switched your showreel off.
With regards to showing a breakdown I agree with Honest, I again think that a recruiter doesn't give a shit, the people who are reviewing your reel are probably better at it then you are unless you are a boy genius it also makes a reel far to long, it looses pace which in turn makes the edit sloppy.

If you were searching for a(nother) job I would include a cover letter, maybe describing more in detail what you did per project and so on

# 6 21-06-2011 , 07:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
Fair points. However, Dom, if you're not looking for a job, then who cares about the length and what a recruiter wants or doesn't want? If you're just looking to showcase your work, I still don't think it would be a bad idea to show some lighting passes or something, since that's what it appears you did. You don't have to show wireframes or rigs... just the relevant breakdown stuff. Anyway, just my two cents again.

# 7 22-06-2011 , 03:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
A that's a fair point. I guess it is just a showcase of what i have done.
I just request what i want from the jobs i've worked on and i get given a dvd with everything on it. If i want to add that sort of stuff, i need to render out everything again or get it un-archived... can't be bothered user added image
With this showreel i can build on it for next year and what not.