Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 14-02-2010 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber
Lot more complicated then I thought it would be...

mental brain temporary shutdown...

the attachments I download here never open in maya. I always get an error.

# 17 14-02-2010 , 09:36 PM
The thin red line
Some times you need to go over tutorials a number of time before it sinks in, there is always the pause button.........dave

# 18 15-02-2010 , 03:07 AM
The attachment is a rar'd .ma file from version 2010 of Maya. I have been able to open .ma files all the way back to version 8.5.

What version of Maya are you running? Silly question but you are unraring the attachment first correct?

The .ma file should be a readable ascii file. You may want to open it and be sure that it is not garbled. The latest version of the revolver file I uploaded shows 0 times downloaded.

Try that one first.

Sorry the video was confusing for you. I knocked it out (as with most of the videos I do) without much planning or editing so it does move along at a fairly quick pace. But the tools used are pretty straight forward, split polygon, edge loop tool, fill hole, append to polygon, bridge, and extrude face, and shift-d duplicate with translation.. I do go fairly quickly though and its easy to miss things since I use marking menus alot.

As for the process being more complicated then you thought. I believe that is one of the many reasons booleans get a bad rap. People think that they will do ALL the work for you. Booleans are there to get you to a form. Once you have the form it is still the modelers responsibility to make the form into a valid topology. I think it is not that difficult a task and certainly easier then starting with a blank screen and poly plane. You just have to stick with it, but its not everyones cup of tea.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 15-02-2010 at 05:14 AM.
# 19 15-02-2010 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber
I use maya 2009 unlimited

here is the error i get when opening the file,

user added image

# 20 15-02-2010 , 09:12 PM
The thin red line
I have the same maya as n88tr and I cannot open it unrared............dave
you could export as a object file but why you should have to do that is beyond me

# 21 16-02-2010 , 02:38 AM
revolver_cylinder_03.rar says downloaded 0 times?

I share .ma files with legendofzombie and he is running maya 2008. I have three versions of maya and I will try to open it locally and see what is the matter. It might be something in the preferences that is trying to be saved.

I will look into it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 16-02-2010 at 02:57 AM.
# 22 16-02-2010 , 02:50 AM
problem solved.

1. please download the latest .ma file revolver_cylinder_3.rar

2. select open>option box

3. under general options you will see a check box that reads "ignore version". check it!

4. now open the file and it will open.

cheers,
ctbram

# 23 18-02-2010 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber
I've been busy lately but I'll give this a try and get back to you. Thank you so much for working hard on helping me with this, it really means a lot and helps me improve my meager skills.

Here's how that revolver I've been working on looks like....

https://img52.imageshack.us/slideshow...d=rrfinal1.gif

more pics when I complete my own cylinder.....user added image

# 24 05-03-2010 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
Great tut thanks a lot...

# 25 23-09-2011 , 06:20 AM
Inspector Lee

Great Tutorial

Thanks Rick,
your tutorial video was really helpful (Old thread but a good one). I needed to create a custom Revolver Cylinder for a character I'm making in Zrush, and I didn't have a clue where to begin. Your tutorial was so clear and easy to follow, that I had my cylinder in no time. And now I'm not afraid of the big bad boolians. user added image

# 26 26-10-2011 , 06:47 AM
I think the 6-gon, while the smallest number, you can make when using smooth cylindrical. Maintained as low as possible will reduce the amount of the number of edges, we need to do cleanup work.