Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 29-12-2010 , 08:56 AM
Lifetime Member
wow mate...thats a big difference!! It looks a hell of a lot better man...I would maybe later add another edge loop on the hind legs...halfway between the rump and knee?? and maybe flatten the chest off a bit it looks slightly pidgeon chested...a vast improvement! Keep going.

Sometimes I find if Maya does funky stuff in the viewport just tab to another like the side then back to persp. Or RMB and select all then just click off somewhere in space and it comes back.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 29-12-2010 , 06:03 PM

So I ended up restarting, I am so far actually happier with it. Maya started acting funky and kept not allowing me to go back to object mode so decided to stop after I finished blocking out the Horse Body...here it is so far.

now that's more like it user added image
cant wait to see how the upper body turns out, but yeah...you should add more subdivisions on the back legs

Last edited by hamidz90; 29-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.
# 18 29-12-2010 , 08:04 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Thanks guys, I will definitely be adding some loops to the back legs and fixing up the chest. Hopefully will have time to finish those touch ups and be able to start blocking out the human half today.

I will have to try that bullet, I was just getting so mad that I had to keep restarting Maya I just gave up lol.

# 19 29-12-2010 , 09:47 PM
I think I am ready to move onto the human half, I added the edge loop to the hind leg, pulled the chest a little, moved the front legs closer together same with the back, and got rid of the pointy area on the back...most of this I dont think you can see on these shots.

First is the wire, second is smooth preview.

Just noticed the hind legs could be rounded out a little more before I move on.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 30-12-2010 , 12:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Thats much better mate...it will give you half a chance in Z later

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 09-01-2011 , 06:51 AM
Here is a small update, been rather busy and start school again on Monday so this project will either be scraped for the next 9 weeks or move even slower.

Chest Front, Back, and a Wire. I also deleted that edge loop that was causing the crease on the arm noticed it after I posted the pics.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ozgalis; 09-01-2011 at 08:18 AM.
# 22 09-01-2011 , 09:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks clean mate...well done....

bullet1968

# 23 09-01-2011 , 10:51 AM
A few things got messed up while connecting the torso to the horse (mainly in the lower torso and the front leg detail), here is where I am at before I go in and mess with it. Any crits welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ozgalis; 09-01-2011 at 10:55 AM.
# 24 11-01-2011 , 01:25 AM
So I was reading some stuff on topology and saw something about their being a certain way to model if you are going to be animating? I am still looking for something that explains this clearly...from what I understand my model wont do the animation trick.

Anyone know of a good free tutorial or a good site that explains this? I would just buy a tutorial from here but the commute to school and back just destroys what little income I have

Nevermind I think I just need to add some edgeloops and define the area that would be deforming. Or at least I think thats what I need to do.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 11-01-2011 at 01:50 AM.
# 25 11-01-2011 , 03:22 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks ok mate...there is something about the human section that doesnt seem quite right?? I dont know...maybe proportion? though without a head it may be an optical delusion.

So you are going to do the head and hands?

bullet1968

# 26 11-01-2011 , 03:39 AM
I took an hour or so today and worked on just the body, it looks better IMO...didnt post anything though. Since I only have time here and there to work on it I wont be starting the hands or head until I have some more time, will just be tweaking the body till then.

But you were right...that was actualy one of the things I fixed, the front needed to be pulled down a bit and the back needed to be pulled out and down a little more, also needed some tweaking in the width. Horse half needed some work to. After I get a few more hours of tweaking in I will post an update....hopefuly will be a huge difference in what I have so far.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 11-01-2011 at 03:43 AM.
# 27 11-01-2011 , 04:09 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL it will mate, it will, I can see you are working hard on it man....keep going though...it will all come out right...time is a factor on anything LOL I know how that feels dont worry!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 28 31-03-2011 , 04:15 AM
so its been a while since I have had a chance to do anything with this project but I just started working on the head for it a few days ago during my down time, here is what I have so far.

Attached Thumbnails