Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 18-04-2011 , 10:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Update, adding more geo now for next level of detail, refining ears too.

I did a texture projection yesterday as a test and I would say its around 85 percent there right now overall, now comes the harder part......

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 18-04-2011 , 10:38 PM
The thin red line
Hi Jay
How do you work from here, are you looking at ref shot not set up in maya from different angle?.............dave

# 48 18-04-2011 , 11:00 PM
Hey Dave

yes and no mate, I'll just keep adding more cameras from different angles I think its around 12 right now and growing LOL, but I will jump out of the camera to eyeball it from either the scene or from the windows picture viewer.

cheers
Jay

# 49 24-04-2011 , 09:15 PM
Update

tweaking eye area now, need to have slightly higher brows where they meet lids

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 25-04-2011 , 04:05 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
I really am eager to see how this looks like when you are finished

# 51 26-04-2011 , 10:27 AM
Cheers dude so am I_ LOL

J

# 52 27-04-2011 , 11:33 PM
subdivided the mesh and am using the low res version as a wrap deformer to tweak the mesh's higher res version.

the mesh is around 6k polys now (if that)

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 27-04-2011 , 11:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cool, I'm learning a fair bit watching this process. I'm interested to see how you setup additional cameras for ref, would you be willing to post a screenshot of the setup?

# 54 28-04-2011 , 07:21 AM
hey stwert

sure...

its not really voodoo its just like setting camera planes in orthographic views but instead its just another 'persp' camera that needs adjusting to fit in line with the mesh.

Basically keep the mesh at 0,0,0, then add the cameras as needed then align them as best you can, using the eyes, nose and mouth as a 'lock' down point (bear in mind they wont fit exactly but use them as your main guide). Add the nurbs curves to the same areas or more on the mesh this time, then in your camera views shape the curves as best you can to the images. The hardest part will be the eyes and possibly the mouth because movement and expression. Ive tried to find as many neutral pics as possible and all the same age.

Her face became more defined in the jaw area as she got older (30s to 40s), and her lips seem a little thinner too. I know she died of cancer at the age of 64 in the early nineties but these changes in her features were from way earlier in here career and not from the affects from the awful illness

anyway on a lighter note have attached two images for you mate

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 28-04-2011 , 10:37 AM
The thin red line
I will give this a try for sure, for me its getting hold of good reference shots that has been my problem, I think I will do what tweeny did and take a video apart. Jay what is the standard camera lens use on film sets?...........dave

# 56 28-04-2011 , 11:03 AM
Hey Dave

a standard lens doesnt really exist so to speak, its all shot dependant that dictates it at the end of the day.

sorry mate I cant be more specific

Jay

# 57 28-04-2011 , 03:50 PM
Technical Director
One thing that I've done, is to exploit camera tracking software. I'll match up my model in the orthographic views, then bring it into PFTrack. I'll load a reference as my footage, then use geometry tracking to align the model to the image. This gives you the camera location, as well as the camera's focal length user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 58 28-04-2011 , 04:46 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks Jay, that's more or less what I was expecting, so thanks for sharing that info.

# 59 28-04-2011 , 05:01 PM
Cool...no probs stwert.

John, cool mate, yeah we had matchmovers do that for us at Cinesite. Orthographic views are a bit of a lottery though, they always have been as you cant really get stuff side on or front on with a small bit of perspective coming into an image. Unfortunately I dont have PFtrack or know how to use it otherwise I'd do that too user added image

Also to find the focal length, you can actually go to an images 'properties' and usually it will tell you there to user added image

cheers

Jay

# 60 28-04-2011 , 08:19 PM
Technical Director
The problem is most people will strip the EXIF data from images on the web. *shakes fist*

Imagination is more important than knowledge.