Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-12-2012 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber

Help with model texture

I am returning to the forum after a long 'break' of sorts and apologize for my lack in ability to use the search function. I have a feeling that if I stick with SimplyMaya that I will be able to use the forum more constructively.

I am modeling the golden snitch from the Harry Potter series and trying to decide what type of texture map to use in order to achieve the bumps and texture it requires. I have pictured a close up of the snitch below.

I thought that using the 3d paint tool might be helpful, but found it wonky at best. Many of the reliefs I make are blocky and pixelated for lack of better words.

Am I best off making my own map in Photoshop and transferring it as a complete map or is there a way to constructively paint my own map.

I'm sure there will be more questions on the model from me, just a heads up. I haven't routinely worked with Maya in years.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-12-2012 , 02:23 PM
The thin red line
UV first then I would model most of the relief (except text) use make live and draw curve on the sphere then extrude along these, you could then bake out a occlusion map to help texture in photoshop or use the mesh as is............not easy texturing spheres...........dave

# 3 20-12-2012 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber

UV first then I would model most of the relief (except text) use make live and draw curve on the sphere then extrude along these, you could then bake out a occlusion map to help texture in photoshop or use the mesh as is............not easy texturing spheres...........dave

Any tutorials that might help point me in the right direction? As I said, it's been a while since I've used maya. What benefit would an occlusion map have over a normal or bump map?

# 4 20-12-2012 , 07:10 PM
The thin red line
None that I know of, its not to hard all you do is make a sphere live then paint CV curve on it following your reference (dont try and do in one go) then when you have the pattern sorted out use a nurb circle to extrude along the curves (I then convert to polys after I have it all sorted out). this took me about 10 min to sort out...............dave

Edit:sorry did not read the end of your post,why a occlusion map two reason for me 1 it will show up in photoshop were the raised pattern will be on the sphere and also you can use it as a dirt map

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 20-12-2012 at 07:19 PM.
# 5 20-12-2012 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber

None that I know of, its not to hard all you do is make a sphere live then paint CV curve on it following your reference (dont try and do in one go) then when you have the pattern sorted out use a nurb circle to extrude along the curves (I then convert to polys after I have it all sorted out). this took me about 10 min to sort out...............dave

Edit:sorry did not read the end of your post,why a occlusion map two reason for me 1 it will show up in photoshop were the raised pattern will be on the sphere and also you can use it as a dirt map

I wasn't quite sure what you meant, but I found this tutorial and think it will work great. Although I was hoping to keep the poly/(nurbs unit) too a minimum and this actually creates more geometry.

I suppose I will try both methods and compare results.

Turns out I'm going to need a lot more practice, experience, and reference to get this model done. I'll post back with progress, hopefully soon.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Last edited by alienscience; 20-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.
# 6 20-12-2012 , 08:15 PM
The thin red line
If you get suck just post again, happy modelling...............dave