SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / A few newbie questions re: animation basics

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

01-07-2004, 09:08 PM   #1
Kaydray

A few newbie questions re: animation basics
I'm trying (and mostly failing) to do some basic animation stuff...so i've got a few questions.

1. i'm doing a basic skeleton, so i've got a hip, knee, and ankle joint. i created an IK handle from the hip to the ankle- how can i now rotate the knee (on the z and x axes i suppose) without it all collapsing?

2. my skin weights tool is really slow...is that just always how it is or could i be doing something wrong?

3. mmmm i forgot the last question so i'll have to come back another time.

sorry if they're stupid questions (yes, yes, i know there is no such thing), but what kind of newbie would i be if they weren't?

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
01-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

1. place a locator or something in front of the knee. Select the locator, shift select the IK handle. Use Constraints > Pole Vector Constraint. Moving the locator will now move the knee orientation.

2. how much ram do you have? processor speed?
06-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #3
Kaydray

1. thanks for the knee help!
2. 523,704 KB RAM; pentium 4 1.60GHz

and another question....
Do you know of an MD3 export plugin for Maya 6? i've found one for Maya 5.0, but no luck w/ 6.0

08-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Kaydray

Ok, forget md3 export for 6.0.

Instead- does anyone have any tips on exporting md3 files from Maya? (I'm now using maya 5.0)

I've baked the animation to the polymesh (or vertices, I suppose), triangulated the model, and....it won't export, and I'm not sure what else to do.
Eh?