Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-01-2015 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber

IBL effects all render layers??

Hi all

Quick question:

I'm trying to render my model using render layers for additional lighting passes as shown in SimplyMaya tut- "Lighting Passes in Post-Production Maya and Nuke".
I'm using an IBL node with HDR plugged into it for reflections and such. Final Gather is turned on, of course.
Strange thing: by logic, for all my secondary light passes, IBL must be set to "off", so I simply made a render layer WITHOUT the IBL node, so only my main model and and my secondary lights are in it.
Now, when I test rendered it in maya, my render came out with the IBL data (reflections, indirect) although IBL node wasn't inside this specific render layer.
I tested it again on a new scene with only a cube and an IBL node - and got the same result again: render layer without IBL in it, render shows reflections and indirect lighting.

What am i doing wrong???

Cheers
UV

# 2 18-01-2015 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber
Hi UV0903 - try making your render layer with the IBL node included - then in the attribute editor of the IBL node, under Render Stats rt click on Primary Visibility, or any of the other check boxes you need to change, choose Create Layer Override and then untick

heres an example of where i have turned off the primary visibility on a render layer using the layer override

Attached Images
# 3 19-01-2015 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber
Hey there nickynacky!
Thanks for the response!

My primary vis was turned off, that wasn't the problem.
The problem was, that although not selected for specific render layer, the IBL still contributed to it (reflection and indirect lighting).
Still asking myself what the hell went wrong.

I guess that I would have to use an override for the "visible as environment" checkbox, but still, very strange..

Last edited by uv0903; 19-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.
# 4 19-01-2015 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber
just creating a render layer without the IBL doesnt work because you still have the IBL plugged into the Indirect Lighting setting on your render settings, if that makes sense

# 5 19-01-2015 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber
Sure it does, and thank you for your effort user added image
The solution I found is to make a layer override and turn ColorGain of IBL to 0 => zero contribution to scene.

# 6 15-10-2015 , 03:05 PM
EduSciVis-er
I thought I was going insane... none of the lighting changes I was making were affecting my render and I made 100% sure the IBL wasn't in the render layer. This makes a sad kind of sense. Thanks for the helpful thread.

By the way, is there a way to turn off Final Gather on a render layer basis? There's no override for the Indirect Diffuse (GI) Mode in 2016.

# 7 15-10-2015 , 03:58 PM
SM Tea Boy
In 2016 to turn of final gather on a render layer, tick on show advanced options in render settings -> legacy options -> final gathering and you can create the override there for it, this will affect the settings on Indirect Diffuse (GI) Mode.

It's strange there is no override on Indirect Diffuse (GI) Mode without going into the legacy settings but there you go...

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 8 15-10-2015 , 04:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Aha, good old legacy settings. I've been making a foray into renderman with mixed success. Then I decided to return to the familiar, if cranky, mental ray and find they've rearranged the house while I've been gone.

# 9 15-10-2015 , 04:21 PM
SM Tea Boy
well you can get back the old setting in prefs by going to rendering -> show legacy passes and use legacy render settings. this will change it all back to where you left it user added image

Before you do that though try the new pass system with the Mila material it's a step in the right direction for MR imo

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 10 15-10-2015 , 05:01 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, the pass system looks interesting. Unfortunately I'm still using AE, which isn't too great with the multi-layered EXR files. I did want to try the Matte Pass, but I couldn't find too much documentation on it.

And I'm all for cleaner and more usable render settings, just got to learn them user added image

# 11 15-10-2015 , 06:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Okay, this is weird. I tried creating a render layer override on the color gain, which works fine in the render view (current frame), but when I do a batch render, it includes the IBL.
I added more layer overrides for "visible in final gather" "visible as environment" etc. and that worked, but then when I removed those overrides, it still worked and respected the color gain override. Weird.

# 12 20-10-2015 , 03:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
So I did a full batch render now, and it's ignoring the render layer override and including the IBL in my layer. Super annoying.

Edit: Reinstated the additional overrides on "Visible as Environment" and "Visible in Final Gather" and it is rendering fine in the batch render now.

Last edited by stwert; 20-10-2015 at 03:56 PM.