Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-05-2004 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber

[animation] skin binds problem

follow the images and you see my problem....

I made the joints and attached it to the model with smooth bind and rigid bind but they give the same trouble...
do I have to do something with the settings of these tools ? and what is better to use and why ?
hope someone know how to help me out...
greetz

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 08-05-2004 , 09:22 PM
I think what happen with the second finger that is being draged is that the soft bind looked for all the surface that is close to the joint. Try selecting "closest point" instead of "closest distance" under Bind method inside the smooth bind options. Also try reducing the max influence to 1. I'm wondering something... what's the scale of that hand? I ask because since it's a hand you might have modeled very small to be at scale with the rest of the model, and that means all joints are very close and so it's easy to get that kind of problem. I would model the hand really big (the same size as the body) and then one everything is cool I just resize it to fit the scale of the body. But I don't know... I'm just a noob :p
I have no idea of what's causing the deformation on the first finger though user added image

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 3 08-05-2004 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
haha...lol...Im also a noob..hehe....but I think your an more experiend one because I didn't came that far of trying solving my problem as you did but....It was a try..that didn't work...
I modeled the hand just about the standard grid big so I think that was enough...
I really apprieciate your help! I learned a bit more!
...did you ever experienced this problem yourself or you just assumed how it works ? greetz

# 4 08-05-2004 , 11:43 PM
When I was rigging my robot for the jan/feb challenge my problem was that when I moved the arm the entire shoulder (and the spikes) would bend down too. Also when I would turn the neck the face plate would twist because there would some joints in the neck and some in the head, so they were all affecting the same surface. I solved it by reducing the influence, that's why I thought it could solve your problem too.
Sorry it didn't work.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 5 08-05-2004 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
I can remember exactly which attribute it is in the soft bind tool, but it is a threshold that indicates how far away different joints affect a given part of the mesh. In this case, what is happening is that the mesh on the fingers have some weight attached to the joints in the next finger. I will be back at my main machine later tonight and will provide more details.

You could also try painting weights to make sure that the joints in one finger are only affecting the mesh in that finger.

Learned all this from Mike's rigging tutorial user added image

Dan

# 6 09-05-2004 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
well Im glad there is a solution(s) to my problem...Im looking forward to here from you! user added image catch ya later!

# 7 09-05-2004 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
you could even just use the edit membership tool to fix it up, select the joint and then select the CV's that you want it to affect

# 8 09-05-2004 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
Hi ransick..
In the smooth bind, you want to look at the "Dropoff Rate" and the "Max Influences" and experiment. Try increasing the dropoff rate and decreasing the Max Influence (even decreasing to 1 may be OK in the fingers). If you still get linking across fingers, then I think that painting the weights would be the easiest way to fix it up completely.

# 9 10-05-2004 , 07:52 AM
OMG, just use Skin->EditSmoothSkin->PaintWeightsool and paint-off unwanted weights. Use magic F1 key to find out how..

# 10 13-05-2004 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
ej mates! thanks for the help...
I was gone for a moment...you know...work...
I was trying to use all off your advices and learned alot more Im going to watch mike's riggig process...
I think that's better for me to understand when I see someone doing it! that's what I love about sm! user added image
thanks for the helping hand ...and will post soon when I got my problem solved! user added image hopefully user added image

# 11 13-05-2004 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
ok....yet another problem has accured....
Is it possible that If I paint some weights that some spots just can't be painted.....
I need to paint a spot on the thumb ..and nomather what position I try ..it just doesn't get painted...
What might be my problem?